Pass the Parcel seed swap

Discussion in 'Swaps/Freebies' started by chengjing, Sep 15, 2008.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I hope and pray there are some cyclamen seeds in there lol.

She'll be back by the time it gets toi her turn anyway, I vote we kick it off.

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Ok, so where is the parcel now?

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    By this I read that there is no parcel, or what there is is not wanted by those on the list...therefore being dead weight that everyone will pay to post around the country again...but not necessarily want or use.

I suggest we start again with a new parcel, sending in seeds to a central point firstly to build a package that is then sent round the list of names. I would also suggest that bought seeds should still be in date and self collected seeds be from this year or last..to increase viability and keep the quality as high as we can.

I'll be happy to help organise if I can (gives me a chance to give back to GC) and if so I would not mind coordinating the first parcel, putting the first one together and sending out...I have a huge ammount of seeds to go in a new package, both bought (unopened) and some self collected.

Please let me know.

Steve...:)

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    That sounds like a plan Steve. I'm also happy to take the lead! Maybe we should start a new Seed Swap thread - new parcel, new thread sort of idea?

5. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I am happy with whatever you decide , I do think the rules we agreed on need posting up again so every body has read them.
    I think somebody needs to take the initiative

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Aaron-I think you have volunteered, and I am very happy for you to take it up again.

I can send all the seeds to whoever you decide on, so just waiting on you then.

It was nearly my turn so I will go first if you like and offer to have them all sent to me or just send what I have onwards.

Up to you.

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Decisions, decisions!

Claire, if it was nearly your turn and you're happy to start it off again, go for it :)

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    chengjing
    Organoponico
    lollipop
    sweetpeas
    Init sister
    Aesculus
    Little Miss Road Rage (parcel price check before posting to)
    pamsdish
    Trixie
    Stingo
    Axie-Ali
    Sussexgardener
    Adam Moran
    Steve R
    Honey Bee
    Ariadae
    Silmar
    Clematis( price check before posting to)
    Loofah
    Abi
    Dianthus

1- maximum hold time before passing on parcel, unless previously arranged is 3 days (ties in with No3)
    2- message person after you on the list before sending parcel and to the thread so we're all kept in the loop
    3- if no response to a message, move on the next person, after 3 days (Works with No1)
    4- contact details held by Jo for everyone, as an emergency( I already have a few.... name, email, address and a phone if you wish) but it's not compulsery
    5- if you miss your turn, then you miss your turn, you wait til it comes round again.
    6- New joiners go to the back of the queue , i.e behind the person who currently has it ( which will mean keeping the thread up to date on who has is, keep it public, if you have it you post)
    7- Just keep us all informed, maybe a role call either on the thread or by me PMing, maybe with 2 chances to reply then your name is in red and after round of the parcel your off the list till you get in touch then No6 comes into force.

Okay so I need Aescelus's address to send what I have to him-as Jo is on holiday and Shobna hasn't been able to post for some time-I'll pm Aescelus and send off as soon as I get a response.

9. Clematis

Clematis Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm happy to go with the flow, but I agree that the Rules need posting up again and enforcing.

10. flowerofshona

flowerofshona Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  11. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I shall leave it i your hands guys, I just don't have the time at the moment.

I think a firm decision is to be made as to who is "in charge" so to speak, I'll help out where I can and would like to know what everyone want's me to do with their details, I'm happy to keep a list as a back up.

Am looking forward to seeing what's in there this time round...Are we going for Steve's idea?? I think it's a good one and have plenty to put in.

:)

12. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I think without some changes we'll end up with a parcel such as went round last and end up with what chengjing received. I've received the parcel twice, first time around I had poor germination compared with my own bought seed, second time round it was all mainly old, out of date seed...most of which I recogmised from the first time.

Steve...:)

13. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    So I think it needs a cull from time to time. Maybe each person who receives it should take it on themselves to do a bit of quality control, throw out older seeds and those looking dodgy (although that can be open to debate!).

Sooo...have we decided who is going to start the ball rolling again? Do we send the seeds to one source (Steve, Claire?) and then get it rolling once more?

However we should wait until the postal strike gets sorted out, to save having to wait for for straggling seeds to arrive in the post.

I believe Sweetpeas had a list of everyone's address before, in case the parcel got stuck somewhere. If you want me to hold this list now, I can either get it from Sweetpeas or you can all pm me your address. What you think?

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I have the parcel ready and waiting to go, I sent Aescelus a pm thinking Jo was away so Excuse me for that, Jo I have pm'd you for your address-it's all boxed and ready, just waiting on you.

If anyone wants to send to a central source that's fine not me though as I have got it ready now anyway.

All freshly harvested from this years crop so should have no problems with germination and freshness.

I unfortunately have lost the bulgarian alliums ( I know they have a different name now sorry)-to mould.

Some of the seeds will be covered in a fine dusting of blue or green powder-don't worry it's only an antifungal measure.

15. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    So how about we date all seed packs month/year,
    and whether commercial or self gathered ,i assume commercial last longer,
    then decide how long they stay in parcel,
    but anything thats been round once probably wont go next time either :hehe: