Pass the Parcel seed swap

Discussion in 'Swaps/Freebies' started by chengjing, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think most cuttings won't be happy travelling that way for more than a few days, apart perhaps hardwood cuttings taken in winter, and even those...

The parcel is leaving this afternoon from here, if the guy supposed to fix our heating gets his bum up and shows up... he was to come yesterday, then this morning... aaaargh!!!

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24

In Germany too, of all places.

3. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What about things like onion sets? Cause I might have some of them spare :)

4. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I like the idea of that, you'd be sending them to me :):thmb:

see what the weight/postage cost is like.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Still think this is going to get out of hand ,postage is going to get exhorbitant it will turn out to be a very expensive packet of seeds.If everyone posts a list of what they have on offer then each individual interested can mail whoever has got what they fancy and for the cost of a stamp get what they want.

6. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Dont want to take part now think it s going to get too expensive.

7. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    walnut....are we talking about the parcel or individual packets??

8. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi Everybody
    I think i agree with Scotkat, if the box is going to be heavy it will cost too much in postage,
    I agree it perhaps would be better to post a list of what we have and let members choose ?
    If for instance the box contained a lot of veg seeds, i would only have limited interest as i just dont have a lot of garden :thmb:

9. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Whatever you decide to do in the end, somebody plant my seeds please. I put them all in the parcel, so they wd not go to waste. :(

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    In the padded envelope there were in total about 40 or so (from memory) small sachets of seeds, I sent mine to Germany and it cost me a couple of quid. What I collected out of the packet was worth approx that amount, okay if you want whats in there but obviously not if you didn`t want any of it.

On the other hand if you were posting lots of seeds to lots of people it would need about 8 envelopes to match the cost-if my maths is wrong then please correct me.

I imagine the idea is to take seeds out and replace them with some of your own, or if you don`t have any to spare put none in and the packet will be lighter.

It is on it`s first round, I propose we see how it goes on it`s maiden voyage. If it is a no-goer then it has at least been tried.

I for one like the idea of getting a surprise, and I too don`t like the idea of it becoming overly expensive either. But Cheng put some faith in when he sent the parcel off-he could have sold them but he gave them freely and I want to at try it first, if only for that.

If we are going to post what we have on here then wait to receive requests before sending them, then do you think a new thread is appropiate, or should we keep it on here?

11. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I think claire is right. I'll be sticking to the parcel :) and an quite happy to pay a couple of quid for some new seeds and to share some I have that might not get used.

I'd do the swap in another thread then people can't get mixed up about what's being talked about and suggested.

can't wait to get the parcel to see what goodies are in there :) :thumb:

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Also if you are serious in coming off the list, or joining it then it would be clearer to us all especially the people above and below you on the list, if you copy and paste the list and deleting or adding yourself.

There is no obligation folks, it`s just a bit of fun.

13. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
  14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
  15. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sorry Claire but maybe even 1 -2 pks of seed maybe can swap just be letter post.