Pete's place

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by pete, Jun 16, 2006.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    L of L, I've got a feeling the feijoa could be for you, it may like your climate if watered.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Another beauty - you do have some very unusual specimens ... and I'm making lots of notes. :D ;) [​IMG]

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Beautiful - I am deeply envious of those blooms.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Wow.... Some beautiful plants in your garden Pete. You never cease to amaze...... :D :cool:

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Thanks everyone, dont encourage me, :D
    This is today, the hottest day of the year so far and this was flowering on the allotment where I put it a couple of months ago.
    Notocactus ottonis
    [​IMG]

There's also a story behind this one, it goes back to when I used to grow quite a few bedding plants, probably twenty years or so. I used to use this as an edging plant in a similar way to lobelia, big difference is this is hardy and looks good even before it flowers, its pyrethrum aureum "Golden moss". I found this selfsown seedling growing in the garden last autumn.

[​IMG]

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    First class garden Pete - an inspiration to us all.

7. Brackenbeds

Brackenbeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    This is a dwarf pomegranate its in a pot but its almost totally hardy and the pot stays on the allotment all the winter, about now it starts to flower and if I remove all the fruit as they start to form it carries on going into October.
    [​IMG]

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    I bought a dwarf Pomegranate last year. It was only about 20cm and I wanted it for my Bonsai collection but somehow managed to kill it off within a few weeks! :eek: If I see them again, I shall get another one.

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    This is Eucryphia, although I lost the label and cant remember which one, it still flowers anyway :D
    [​IMG]

And this is part of the drive way I've been concreting, its finished now. All thats left is to sort out the grass and garden but cant do much until we get some rain or I can use a hose.
    [​IMG]

11. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    gee wiz pete absolutely fab.

12. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Pomegranates are quite easy to grow from seed and from cuttings. They are also easy to train as bonsai plants. We've got a bush now about 40 cm tall which I grew from a fruit picked in Greece about 4 years ago. Our son who is daft about bonsai took cuttings last year and now has a couple of really nice looking mini pomegranites.

13. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I have a trayful of liitle pomegranate bushes all sown last year and one bigger one from 2 years ago. They all look very healthy and survived well in the greenhouse [frostfree] over winter. I don't expect fruit but would like to know if they are likely to flower- has anyone had any luck?

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Pete, looking great as always .. I do love orange in the garden, so vibrant (funny I'm not so fond of yellow).

Might follow suit and do cuttings, Steve, hadn't actually thought of that! :rolleyes:

Liz, Pete's got them flowering .. not sure abut Dave?

Funny thing, I don't like pomegranates (not to eat, can't stand those pips) but love the tree and the juice! And, of course, Grenadine (for tequila sunrises) was originally made from pomegranates but sadly no longer! :(

15. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I also have some pomegranates I grew from seed out of a supermarket one, it was a long time ago and they have never flowered,but I clip them into a small hedge so that wouldn't have helped flowering, they do get tall and are quite a large shrub even over here in the UK. If they did flower I dont think ripe fruit would be likely.
    The dwarf pomegranate is a bit different (Punica Granatum var"Nana") its smaller and is better for a pot. I grew half a dozen seedlings on some years ago to flowering size, and selected the best flowerer. However although I can root cuttings of the ordinary one fairly easily this one seems harder, only managed it once in about twenty years. :( [​IMG]