Pete's place

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by pete, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Wow Pete - they are really pretty little flowers!!!! They remind me of the icing flowers you put ontop of fairy cakes!!!

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    How do you find these beautiful plants, pete, I've never heard of chilopsis. Such a lovely flower!

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Thats one from seed Liz, I've been working my way through the Chiltern seed catalogue for the last 20 yrs, and before that it was T & M, grew my first bananas ensete in 1977.
    [​IMG]
    Along with pitcher plants, these two got me started, still got the packets, how sad is that?
    T& M used to make some wild claims in those days.

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Did you get fruit in 18 months?

I often browse through Chilterns', better than the back of cereal packets any day- but you seemto have the knack of picking beautiful plants. What are you trying at the moment? :cool:
    At least your packets have decimal currency on!

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    No fruit Liz, and what I know now is that I probably never would with them, but the plants were a great talking point for a few years.
    I have had many plants that have just not been worth growing, or as far as I'm concerned almost impossible to grow, but thats experience.
    The exacum is an annual that I like, but I came across it in their so called 'lottery mixture' of greenhouse plants, its a mix of all sorts of seed and you get to work out what they all are after you've grown them. Got a really interesting climber coming along at the moment but havn't a clue what it is as yet.
    I have eased off a bit due to space and not having the time, so no real large ones anymore, but have grown erythrinas, jacaranda, feijoa, eucalyptus, acacia, cacti, echium, melianthus, michauxia, and loads of others that I cant remember off hand.

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Hi, Pete. I've been doing my research on this wonderful Chilopsis linearis and all indications are that it is a tree ( :eek: ) possibly up to 30 feet but can be trained to keep it small! I can't find any of the seed companies listing it ... any clues?

By the way, your Crepe Myrtle looks great ... they're wonderful here at the moment!

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Well Chilterns usually have chilopsis, but for some reason its not in this years catalogue.
    It does grow from cuttings, but thats not much help to you, is it? :rolleyes:
    All I can suggest is to keep a look out.

My crepe myrtle DID look good for a while, but the strong wind and heavy rain that everone wanted has almost finished it off, the caesapinia has masses of buds but they're not opening properly now either, starting to rot on the plant.
    Well we had about 6 weeks of summer this year, so it will be remembered as "The long hot summer of 06" :D

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Remind me why I moved to more pleasant climes ? [​IMG]

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Pete, just thought I'd have a decker at Chiltern Seeds and they post to Europe .... and I did find a listing for it!

Yours just looks like ground-level grass ... how old is it and do you think it will be a tree?

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Yes it would become a small tree, mines about five years old, but it loses some wood each year that has not ripened, so the stems die back and growth although fairly rapid is cut back by frost. Not a problem you would have.
    Its about 6ft high, but one I kept in a 5 in pot is 18ins high and also flowering.
    Its a survivor, but I think a really hard frost combined with dampness would kill it.
    BTW its deciduous.

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    [​IMG]
    This is Jatropha podagrica, one of my suprises from Chiltern a few years back.
    Its set seed itself, this year.It flowers all year and grows a swollen stem to store water, so its not bothered if I forget to water it.
    [​IMG]

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    What a strange plant ... bit like monkey feet ... bit like our newcomers' feet! :eek: I see this is in your conservatory?

Deciduous even with me?

13. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Looks like a tiny fig! another to add to my want list. This site is very bad for my budget. :D

14. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :cool: What a fantastic plant Pete. I take it that it is a member of the Fig family???? :D

15. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    I see it from the Euphorbia family having the milky sap, same as the Poinsettia, so deciduous, needing it's resting period. Although it would suit my climate, only going for everygreens now.