1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Petrol Hedge Cutter

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by wiseowl, Jul 7, 2016.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,883
    Good morning I am going to get a 2 stroke hedge cutter but I have no idea what petrol I need to get ,can someone please give me some advice preferably for dummies :heehee:on what petrol oil mix ect,thank you:smile:

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    I didn't know they still made two strokes! :dunno:

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Yes they are necessary for hand held tools you use at any angle/rotation, an oil sump in a 4 stroke wouldn't work in this situation as the engine has to be upright at all times.

It will tell you in the manual, it is most likely just ordinary unleaded petrol mixed with 2 stroke oil at 50:1. You should get a mixing bottle with the hedge cutter but if they don't supply one then here is a cheap but perfectly adequate one:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-hp-120-2-stroke-engine-oil-mixing-bottle/46908#_=p

and the oil:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-hp-145-2-stroke-engine-oil-1ltr/60281

To make up the mixture pour in unleaded petrol into the mixing bottle to the first mark, then add the oil to the mark for the correct ratio for your hedge cutter 50:1 or what it specifies in the manual or on the filler cap. Shake the bottle to mix the oil and that is all there is to it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,946
      Also some machines will have a petrol mix of 25:1

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • JWK

Ratings:
        +46,169
        Apart from the petrol/oil, starting is usually a few steps:
        1) Prime - push a little plastic bubble 3* times (to get fuel into the carb)
        2) Set the choke (might not be needed on a hot day)
        3) Set the trigger - some lock into a 'start' position.
        4) Switch on
        5) Pull start cord - sharp

Away it goes - let it run for 30 secs on "tick over" then switch to no-choke.

Use the trigger to control the speed of the tool - at "tick over" the cutter should not be running - press the trigger to speed it up and the clutch should engage to set the cutter running.

Don't forget your safety equipment: Strong gloves and goggles and steel toe cap boots.

* check the manual for exact number of pushes - don't exceed as you flood the engine

• Like Like x 1
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,883
          Good morning @JWK @Jiffy many thanks for all your answer's ,they are as always very much appreciated:ThankYou:

WOW! It sounds like a pit stop in formula one motor racing:heehee: on second thought I am going to get a cordless one:whistle:

• Quentin Jackson

Quentin Jackson Gardener

Ratings:
          +22
          I have used a Shindaiwa 230 had it over 15 years but they still appear to make them. Only have the hedge cutter attachment for the multi tool. I would highly recommend the bar on a boom. It massively reduced hedge cutting time as I can now cut faces over 12ft high before needing a ladder. You can also adjust the angle of the bar to this way you can cut tops and your hands do not have to be right against the hedge face. A large cutting bar is also extremely handy to speed the job up, and do not go for a single sided cutting bar (not sure if you can still get them). The only things I would recommend are health and safety related. 2 stroke engines are very noisy the engine is close to you make sure you have a good set of ear defenders that are comfortable (I use a over ear set). Also if you are using for a good few hours straight, use the strap, it helps take the weight of the machine onto your body, they are not that heavy but when cutting for 3 hours straight your arms will know it! Lastly be careful when cutting for long periods of time, they can have quite a lot of high frequency vibration. At the end of the day, the ends of your fingers might be tingly (white noise) it normally goes away within a few hours, and if only a couple of times a year it should be fine. But if you are using it all the time as a professional, more expensive models probably have better anti vibration mounts

• Like Like x 2
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,497
            I, now, only have mains electric hedge cutters and find them perfectly adequate. One is a 24" standard size tool and the other is an 18" cutter on a pole (extendable) with a number of settings for putting the blade at an angle. Even at 250ft distance I don't have a problem with the electric cord but a heavy duty one is needed because of electrical resistance.

You should still have protective clothing and, if it's windy, you will need to take care with your feathers :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
            • Quentin Jackson

Quentin Jackson Gardener

Ratings:
              +22
              Don't be put off with two stroke, it is very easy to mix the fuel, some people I know mix it in a 5L petrol can (probably only worth it if you are going to use it in 6 months or less) But it takes about 30 seconds to mix a litre which is plenty for a full days cutting.

I have an Oregon cordless chainsaw with two batteries it only gives me about 1 hour cutting time before both are exhausted (can be irritating chopping logs). I suspect a hedge trimmer will suffer similar issues but be far more frustrating. I think most cordless hedge trimmer unless going for Stihl, you will find have smaller bars and less power than two stoke models

Whichever power source you choose, look for the ability for other attachments. Two stroke multi tools often have various other useful tools you might want. Equally Oregon and Stihl definitely use the same batteries across many different tools so you can just buy more tools later as the batteries are half the cost.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                I use a Stihl 545 which is fabulous. Ok it isn't the cheapest on the market BUT it's as light as the proverbial feather (important for me as I bust my shoulder a few year back and detached a few tendons in the process so not that strong in the shoulder dept). It uses fuel a la JWK, starts 1st time even after having sat all winter doing not a lot and can cut through fairly hefty Beech branches. I have had a few cheaper types over the years and found they weren't very strong, blunted quickly of were bu..ers to start, another thing not the best for my shoulder. Cutting the various hedges used to be dreaded but not now. Picture is of our "lollypops" which I don't like much but are extremely useful for slowing down the odd idiot driver who never thinks something could be coming the other way. There are 9 "lollipops" which used to take all day to cut, now about 2 hours does the trick. Photo taken in the early spring so the lollies hadn't been cut for a while but still looking fairly neat.
                driveway 004.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                  Ratings:
                  +5,368
                  I'm with @silu on this one. Buy a Stihl. I use an HS45 with a 60cm blade. Light and well balanced, so easy to use. Its also the only one I've had that will trim my Siberian Pea hedge! The very first I had, a Black and Decker mains electric lasted a metre with that..as did the second that replaced it under warranty.

• Like Like x 1
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,497
                    It all depends on the size of the job required. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
                    • JWK

Ratings:
                      +46,169
                      Agree, I mostly use a cordless Bosch hedge trimmer - it's much easier than faffing about with petrol. I have a couple of batteries and they fit the strimmer and a drill too. So I can have one on charge whilst using the other.

However the cordless are in my opinion only any use for a quick light trim. Once a year my 200ft or so of beech hedge needs a proper cut. I have a petrol pole hedge cutter for doing the tops without needing a ladder, I can zip around all mine in 1/2 a day. It used to take me a couple of days using an electric one and ladders.

I probably only use one litre of two stroke a year.

Where I volunteer on mondays there are a lot more hedges and we use a couple of petrol trimmers. As there is a mixture of different types of hedge, some need regular cutting - others like my Beech only need trimming once a year.

• Like Like x 2
                      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +5,093
                        Petrol for me. A 30 year old heavy beast that only has one setting as its faulty and that is on fast only. Takes me an hour to cut a hedge that a "profesional " and his mate spent 5 hours on.
                        Mind u when im finished i look like im about to have a heart attack,but the hedge looks good. ;)

• Like Like x 1
                        • shiney

Ratings:
                          +118,497
                          I don't need ladders for my electric one as it's a pole cutter as well. Standard length is 6ft and extended is 10ft. The head can be angled from 90 - 180 degrees.

• Like Like x 1