Pineapple guava (Feijoa / Acca)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by noisette47, Oct 23, 2023.

1. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,334
    Sparrows! Don't talk to me about sparrows! After colonising the edges of the (big) roof, they've taken over the Eleagnus hedge too. It's amazing, the noise at dawn and sunset. Then suddenly....total silence! What are they doing? Arguing over perch space, exchanging the day's news?? :scratch: If they start attacking flowers or fruit, they're history!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,863
      @noisette47 how easily do the jujubes grow?
      I have a finger lime (in greenhouse) and keep the fruit in the fridge - I didn't think they'd freeze

• Funny Funny x 1
      • noisette47

Ratings:
        +15,334
        Hi @CarolineL, it's a small, thorny, deciduous tree / large shrub, about 7' tall and produces kilos of fruit every year. Planted on an open SE facing slope on grotty, unimproved clayey soil with added builders rubble! It's absolutely bone-hardy. Came through the -17C week in 2010 without batting an eyelid.
        I seem to have got two varieties on one plant, as a third of it produces relatively big, round fruit that don't ripen while the rest of it is, I'm guessing, the original species. Olive-size, sweet oval fruit that are at their best when starting to wrinkle. (Just like us? :roflol:). Whether the dual variety is because of a grafting problem or was intentional, I'll never know. It came from the Agroforestry Research Trust nursery in Devon.
        I tried bottling the fruit some years ago but haven't actually used it yet. Prefer fresh fruit :)
        The only downside to it is having to be careful when mowing round it. It's truly vicious!

• noisette47

Ratings:
        +15,334
      • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,863
        A finger lime would be a huge ice cube! I currently just scoop out the little caviar to add to my drink.
        If the 'improved' jujube doesn't fruit for you, then not much chance for me.
        Btw, the Szechuan pepper seeds you gave me have grown well. No fruit so far, but some magnificent thorns! :biggrin:

• Informative Informative x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +22,571
          They are still going and have a site on the Dartington Estate I have bought a couple of things from them and been on aan interesting guided tour. They've written at least one book on the subject.
          I don't grow Sichuan pepper, but I do have Zanthoxylum acanthopodium and hope to have Z laetum at some point next year (replacement for one that died when I moved it a few years ago).
          They are fascinating plants, very spiny and the young foliage is beautifully coloured and I love the smell. The flowers emerge from the branches. The Z acanthopodium fruit can be used as in cooking a bit like Sichuan pepper.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,863
            Ooo @NigelJ another plant on the list now! I didn't notice any smell from the foliage on my plant - I'll have to check. That Agroforestry place has a very tempting list of plants - though sadly the jujube is only available as seed

• noisette47

Ratings:
            +15,334
            The cultivar jujube, 'cos that's what I'm sure it is, does fruit. They just don't seem to ripen like the smaller ones :) The tree does sucker, so I'll see if I can get a couple to you, along with some pips from the fruit. If they make it, all well and good. If not, nothing lost.
            I'm sorry that I can't identify the Zanthoxylum I sent. It was given to me as a small plant but no info on which species. I have noticed a strong, spicy scent when the berries ripen, especially in sunshine. Another one to site carefully and avoid getting up too close and personal :biggrin:

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +22,571
            @CarolineL
            The Z acanthopodium came from Pan Global Plants they have some other species available as well.

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,863
            Thanks @NigelJ - another temptation!