planst to trail over a wall

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by gavlap, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    try this link , gavlap. You might find it helpful!

2. gavlap

gavlap Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

Heres a pic of the wall... i know it looks a little grim but hopefully this summer I can britten it up. On the side you can see is where i want to plant the trailing plants. On the other side I will be planting various shrubs.

[ 20. April 2006, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: gavlap ]

3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Do you really want to plant something to trail over the wall, you could may be plant something at the back of the shrub bed to grow through the trellice.

I would actually be very careful with Ivey as it could pull your wall to pieces, I have been trying to pull ivey of my field wall and realize that if the ivey comes our then the wall comes down.

Need to know aspect, the wall as we look at it, which way is it facing? I think you could do better than vinca here.

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    gavlap:

That wall has so many possibilities! :D

Here's a snap of some Aubretia trailing down a wall taken from the roadside on my way to work today.

[​IMG]

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    For trailing over or planting in - I would go with aubretia, but also consider, saxifrage, thrift and alpines - for planting in the wall.

6. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Why go down? the wall looks great and interest could cover the trellice - OK the occasional bit of trailing aubretia etc but stone looks nice too.

7. gavlap

Ratings:
    +0
    Waco, the wall faces to the West.. the biggest issue planting anything there though is that in a few weeks, when all the trees have leaves on, it puts that road in pretty much complete shade until autumn, so what ever gets planted there needs to like the shade. Regarding the stone, I do really like the wall and don't want to cover the whole thing, but would really like to bring some ayr colour to the area, and cover certain sections where the walls not looking its best.

That pic of Aubretia is exactally what I am looking for, although I am concerned it wouldn't be happy with the location I want to plant in because of the shade.

I porbs am going to plant some alpines in the wall, really like that idea.

8. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The wall in my third picture faces East and as you can see is shaded by Laylanii so quite shadey.

The aubretia survives as does white and yellow ?allisum) I think this is a much better option for you. I have also tried with Lewissia into the wall, but it does not really like the aspect.

good luck

9. gavlap

Ratings:
    +0
    another question... what does Aubretia look like in winter.. does it completely die off until next spring or is the foliage green all year.

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  11. gavlap

Ratings:
    +0
    cool.. well i'll give aubretia a try then.. hope it likes the location...

cheers everyone for your help...

will see how it goes!

12. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Have used Aubretia in similar circumstances but I am not too keen on the limited flowering season and it can take some time to achieve the quality shown in the picture. There are anumber of annuals which can be used to augment the Aubretia and add colour in the summer.

Have a similar problem which I would appreciate any comment on - just had a tree chopped down level with the ground and need to grow something to cover it (not prostrate conifer) - anyone got any ideas?

13. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    chobart - when is a tree not a tree - when its a rockertree (rockery) oh sorry that is desperate, anyway picture below is of my tree stump which I have covered with rocks and planted as rockery.
    [​IMG]
    gavalap - other suggestion is the alisum, just can't remember its name anyway its out now and very pretty.
    [​IMG]

14. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion Waco - I do not like trying to kill off tree stumps with Roundup/other.

Here goes for a 'rockertree'

15. gavlap

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Waco... will have a look out for it.