1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. November Photo Comp is now open with a great new theme.! Come and join in.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting a Juneberry tree in a container.

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Outlander, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
    +165
    Hi all

I have recently acquired an Amelanchier Alnifolia Obelisk (Juneberry) which is a smallish tree. The original plan was to plant directly in the ground but I am a bit worried about the height after ten years or so. Anyway, have decided that it might be better to try it in a large container (barrel) first and see how we get on with it.

The planting instructions for planting in the ground say a hole should be dug to the depth of the root and twice as wide. If I do in fact plant into a container, which soil should I use? Would it be best to use mainly top soil with a bit of compost or completely in compost? Obviously compost would not be a stable as compacted soil and it would not be in a hole dug to the depth of the root ball. The plant going in is approximately six feet tall and a few twigs wide.

Am I over thinking it? Should I just shove it in a container and hope for the best? :scratch:

Any suggestions appreciated.

My second question is, Will I ever get out of the new to gardening section? :biggrin:

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Gardener Councillor Governor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +10,484
    Hi @Outlander Well it is a tree, so I would start it off in a minimum of a 50litre pot, but bigger if poss, but I think it might outgrow it very quickly.. I would plant it in John innes No.3..

I had thought about getting one, but fear it would grow to big too quickly for where I was thinking of putting it.. You can eat the fruits of a Juneberry too so I am told.. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Tetters

Tetters Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,139
      The Amelanchiers are all small trees, and the variety you have @Outlander is a slender tree/shrub which can be lightly pruned during the winter - spring months. These are very suitable for small gardens, and would be happiest if they go into the ground rather than confined to a pot.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
        +165
        Yes, that's hat concerns me too, I wouldn't want it to start doing well, only to be chopped down in the future.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
          +165
          I suppose I have trouble visualising it, it can grow to 18ft tall which is probably too big for the area. I could keep it small by pruning but I thought it was not a good idea to cut the main upright stem. I think I need to do some photoshopping to get an idea what it will look like in say 10 years.

Thanks @Tetters

• Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
          +165
          Thanks for recommending JI No3 @Marley Farley

• Like Like x 1
          • Tetters

Tetters Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,139
            upload_2018-10-27_20-12-5.jpeg Let me try to explain @Outlander.... If you plant a columnar tree like this one in a small garden, it will do little or no damage with its roots, as they are generally as spread out as the bowl of the tree itself. You therefore achieve a lovely tall tree giving height and splendour to your garden without damaging foundations or drains - unless you plant it directly over the drains of course (which you wouldn`t) Not only that, because it is columnar (obelisk) shape it will cast very little shade - so after 10 years it will grow to about 24 feet, look lovely in each season and give you no grief whatsoever. If I were you I`d give it a go - it is such a good choice in your situation. :phew:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
              +165
              Thanks @Tetters tht is certainly a lovely looking tree. I'm having a think.