Plants you dislike

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Cacadores, Aug 31, 2012.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059
    Its difficult to say what plants you dislike.
    I'd not want to bother growing quite a few plants in my own garden, but in the right place they all look good.
    It depends on differing factors, i'm no lover of roses, most of the disease ridden plants I see are not worth growing.
    But put them in a rose garden, well looked after and you get a totally different view.

There are lots of plants that I struggle to see why people grow, but at the same time they probably wonder why I grow what I do.:)

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,829
    HOUTTUYNIA :runforhills:
    It should be banned in case it escapes and finds its way into my garden. It has crept under the fence from my neighbours next door. I can't bear to touch it and my OH has to dig it up for me. I find the smell utterly nauseating,:redx:

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,887
    Leylandii, because they're often planted in the wrong place and as in my own case, cause expensive damage to property. Hydrangea, I just don't like them. Pelargonium's because I hate the smell of them. Montbretia/Crocosmia and Grape Hyacinths because they are so invasive. :gaah:

4. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    I don't like and would never plant Kerria Japonica or the common variety of Forsythia, perhaps its just because they are soooo common??

Neither do I like the 'mop-head' hydrangeas, I like the 'lace-caps' though.

On the tree front I hate Sycamores, please cut them all down :heehee:, they're just weed trees, round here the local authorities are slowly removing them from parks and green spaces to protect other more desireable species.

Can't think of anything else that I really dislike too much :)

Oh...just thought of one, Spanish Bluebells.....:eeew:, horrid plants that are endangering out native beauty.

5. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    oh yeh, feckin sycamores. we have some on the land around us and every spring theres a million of the saplings growing everywhere in my garden, INCLUDING my pond's waterfall!!! :runforhills:

6. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    hard to answer, also because if a plant looks well near another one then I can't really dislike it.
    I prefer flowers that are not too much of a statement and they don't cover the garden in petals when they come off so that for a few days of flowering one has to endure many more days of decomposing petals on the grass.

7. alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    Anything orange especially marigolds.
    Euphorbias - don't know why but they give me the creeps.
    I can't stand hypericum either and although I've never grown it in my garden I'm always pulling up seedlings.

8. Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
    +250
    I didn't expect people would write 'deciduous'. To me they give life to a garden.
    [​IMG]

Why? Is it the bother of clearing the leaves?

9. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    I have grown many plants that, under my care ,become a weedy or sprawling mass of ugly green leaves , flower for one day and look nothing like the seed catologue ! I won't name them as they could be someones favourite , who has more green thumbs than I have.
    My real hate plant must be..........
    6 x NEMESIA BLUE LAGOON PLUG PLANTS
    Bought these on t'internet. They were supplied with a free fungal rust infection , that infected nearly a third of my seedlings :gaah: I actually love Nemesia , but for any internet purchased plants in 2013 I am going to devise a quarantine area.

10. luckyluna

luckyluna Gardener

PT
    Ratings:
    +143
    I detest Mahonias (discustingly prickly)...Kerria (all over the place)...Tagetes (I know they're sooo useful, but they are sooooo jucky-smelly :eeew:
    But very extremely! most of all! from the bottom of my heart! I despise the rotten
    trying-to-take-over-my-frontyard-so-I-had-to-rip-out-all-plants- :cry3:and-now-I-gotta-redo-everything-maretail :wallbanging:
    So there you know it :)

• Like Like x 4
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248
      Hi Luna , I have just had the pavement / front of my drive resurfaced. They resurfaced all the pavements with a high grip tar like stuff about 10mm thick - 4 mares tails have come through it in a week:gaah: I lightly crush them with my foot, to break the stem wall , and spray Glyphosate on them . This has some effect.

• Like Like x 4
      • Gardening Jan

Gardening Jan Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +31
        I hate it too, and have been trying to dig it out from between other plants this afternoon.:gaah:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,838
        I confess I am a "plantaholic" so I like all plants, but there are some I like less so they don't get grown in my garden because I grow the plants I like more.:heehee:

• Like Like x 3
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,838
          Now, this is what makes gardening so interesting...when people differ in likes and dislikes. I love seeing a carpet or scattering of petals from expired flowers on the ground but I don't welcome the falling of tree leaves because that means Winter is on the way.:snork:

• Like Like x 2
          • chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,616
            sycamores i find saplings every where i go too especially up the allotment, i hate Grass ( does that count ) :dunno: