Plants you dislike

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Cacadores, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Don't get me wrong I like Rose flowers (in other people's gardens) it is just the plants I detest.
    I think Roses are the biggest scam ever pulled on the gullible, of all time.
    If I offered you a plant which I described as being a leafless twig for 6 months of the year (They are here, from early September to late Spring, not a leaf in sight); having more diseases than a Hospital, more pests than any other plant, needs a huge amount of chemical treatment to keep healthy and pest free, has thorns which can give you Tetanus or at best a nasty wound, needs a huge amount of pruning and produces prunings which are hard to dispose of, and finally has flowers which turn to mush when it rains, would you buy it? Bet not, but say Here is a new Rose!" and every one rushes for their wallets. Con trick or what?

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Well, the new rose gag is just another marketing trick, I agree, Palustris, with heart catching or suitable event names to make them more sellable....but every now and then a rose is introduced that is worthy of being put on the market.
    My wife and I started off originally with a formal Rose bed but found that, as you said, it was just a mass of green leaves for a greater part of the year and we turned it into a herbaceous border.:dunno:
    I'm not a true advocate of roses as they don't figure greatly in my garden, but earlier this year I, in the "Only a Rose" thread, did a quick count of the roses I have bought over the years and have in the garden now.......which came to my surprise to 21. The Shrub and T roses are dotted around in the borders while the climbers are on points of interest, i.e: a Trellis entrance, the Arbour, and the pond and it's nearly equal between the number of climbers and Shrub/T Roses.
    One thing I do these days though, when contemplating a rose. is whether it is highly scented and a repeat flowering type, the last quality being the decider as to whether or not I buy it, and so extending the flowering season. A rose in the right place can be magical and can give weeks and months of pleasure if it is a repeat flowering type. But I'm still mainly a herbaceous perennial man at heart. But as I have said before, it would be so boring if all gardeners liked the same flowers, plants and styles of garden.:coffee:

• Like Like x 1
    • Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
      +250
      Ah, winter. The smell of good earth as you crunch over frosted dewey grass, the hoar-rimed trees* looming through morning mist, deer curious, searching and staring through waving long grass as the first soft snowflakes tingle on your nose, the air clear and priming the throat as you throw off your scarf for a malty pint in the warm leather chair by the pub's cracking apple-wood fire.
      Heaven. [​IMG] Not to mention an end to hey-fever, losing my sunglass, the constant search for shade, flies in your bitter, H. I. running from wasps, battling weeds, the sight of middle-aged men collecting their Sunday papers in flip-flops and nightwear, tubby females assaulting my vision with bare mid-drifts, grannies sporting mini-skirts, carrying water wherever you go to starve off dehydration, the bloody sun lotion, dawdling tourists blocking the pavements, being woken up every night by mosquitos and stinging sunburn.

Another reason for deciduous!

• Like Like x 4