Polytunnel Panic!!

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Blondie, Feb 4, 2007.

1. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I think I`ve stirred up a hornets nest here, but I think it is good that people are argueing and discussing the rights and wrongs of cleanliness and pest management in the garden. Having, until 2 years ago, worked in a garden centre for 12 years I have seen how many pest control products have been taken off the market because of EU legistration. When you take away the likes of Tumblebug and Tumbleblight what are you left with? soapy water and vaseline ? Believe me prevention is better than cure. If you smoke don`t do it in an enclosed space where you have tomatoes or potatoes, don`t plant tomatoes and potatoes next to each other. To prevent aphids attacking plants out doors interplant with onions or shallots or garlic. To prevent aphid attacks in the greenhouse/polytunnel use Marigolds ( not the gloves ). And compostee, I used to roll my own and grow tomatoes and potatoes and I never had a problem but that does`nt mean that next time.... David.

2. azadaman

azadaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont smoke, but what a load of twaddle about tabacco & tomatos.
    Should I try and stop allotmenteers from smoking 5 plots down just in case a greenfly flys through his smoke and land on my tomatos.
    Is there anything that smokers arent blamed for !
    Since there are less smokers than ever before and extraction in buildings better, why is there now more people with lung cancer than ever before.
    Poor smokers, talk about being victimised !
    I know one thing, I would rather be in a sealed room with a smoker for an hour than with a car with the engine on.

3. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    azadaman, I'm not proud of being a smoker and would love to give up. But i agree with you, we are blamed for all sorts. But the only time i ever had a period of niggling illnesses was when i worked in an airconditioned environment. Since then, neither me or my plants get special treatments for hot or cold. We live with the currant temperature fluctuations. Although i do like our open fire in the evening. :D

4. azadaman

azadaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We all live in a too sterile environment, thats why kids suffer so much nowerdays.
    It should be law that parents have to roll their kids around in muck at least once a week followed by a good face licking by the dog.
    That will improve their immune system.

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Azadman, what are you talking about? we are discussing smoking in greenhouses/polytunnels not about some "allotmenteer" (whatever an allotmenteer is, when I had an allotment I was referred to as an allotment holder. ) 5 plots away. It has been shown that tobacco and tobacco smoke can carry such diseases as blight and mosaic virus to relative plants such as tomatoes and potatoes. And as to your remark " is there anything that smokers aren`t blamed for?" the answer is traffic congestion. David.

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    David, I know I was a bit sceptical about how tobacco could infect greenhouse toms with disease but not supermarket veg, but I do admit there probably is a small chance.
    But are you now saying that just the smoke from a cigarrette can spread disease, surely the smoke is sterile as far as thats concerned?

7. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    (T'other David adding his tuppence worth)-

Pete, I think its the nicotine that spreads the disease. If you think about it, there is bound to be nicotine in the smoke as that's what smokers are hooked on.

8. azadaman

azadaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So daitheplant you will want smoking banned on allotments as well then.
    In the old days kitchen gardens to manor houses used to disinfect the greenhouses with tobacco smoke.
    And do you know what, I do believe they were quite successful and grew tomatos !

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Azadaman you have been given advice and oppinions on this thread I don't think its a vendetta against smokers as you seem to think I think anyone that wants to smoke to the detrement of theire health are quite entitled to do so when it affects other people then its a big no if you want to smoke in your greenhouse thats up to you if you believe you are right so be it I find as people get older they take a lot of convincing to change their ideas sometimes its not worth trying to advise them

10. azadaman

azadaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Walnut,
    Ever heard of a full stop :confused:
    I got quite out of breath reading that. :D

11. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Hi Blondie,

Everyone's caught up in the smoking debate and they've forgotten your question about tomatoes & cucs! I grew Tumbling Toms (cherry tomatoes) last year in hanging baskets and they were brilliant. Cropped until November (although started quite late - August I think). This year I have Gartenperle which are just germinating now, on the windowsill. I haven't grown cucs, so can't advise on those.

Compostee, I bet there are loads of peeps just like you, so don't beat yourself up about it!! And that's a big plus, getting rid of the green & white flies, and maybe other stuff too.

12. Blondie

Blondie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tiarella for answering my question. [​IMG] I didnt want to be rude and did try to butt in to the 'smoking debate'in a roundabout way to try and get my questions answered but not to much effect! :D I think im going give the tumblers a go as you can get them in red and yellow varities and have seen them paired with petunas in a gardening mag but im still pretty clueless on cucumbers so any advice peeps? :confused:

13. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Sorry Blondie, really do apologise about the smoking thing, it has hi jacked your thread [​IMG]

14. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Azadaman, sorry about that, the shortage of breath is probably due to smoking. :D :D

15. azadaman

azadaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Walnut, I dont smoke, never have, never will. Ruins your taste buds so you cant appreciate your tomatos !!