1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Potatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Denton Dave, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Denton Dave

Denton Dave Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all

My lovely son has given me a gift voucher for marshalls I have previously grown majestic potatoes as they are reliable and others i grew were damaged by slugs also are great for baking and roasting. The problem is Marshalls done appear to sell them any suggestions to what I should grow this year.

Thanks

Dave

2. Tomhip

Tomhip Gardener

Ratings:
    +113
    What about peas and beans these are rewarding you get so much back for a few seeds I've grown the following and can recommend climbing French bean Cobra and also Blue Lake and the runner bean White Lady also try the pea Kelvdon Wonder this dose not grow very tall and is delicious.
    Tomhip

3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hiya Dave. Are you sure you want to grow a maincrop variety? If you're pushed for space, I would opt for an 'early' variety, my favourite being 'Arran Pilot'.
    I've checked the Marshalls website for maincrop varieties, and would suggest that you won't go far wrong with 'Desiree' or 'Maris Piper'. 'Cara' seems to be quite a popular variety, although can't recall trying them myself.

Cheers...Freddy

• Like Like x 1
    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,297
      Varieties

Scrungee knows best, maris piper and cara, have better protection details ie slug and rot prevention

• Denton Dave

Denton Dave Gardener

Ratings:
      +20
      Thanks for all the replies looks like it may be Maris piper then. I am still eating potatoes I grew last year. I hope the Maris piper keep as well .

I grew king Edwards once but the yield was poor and many were eaten or damaged by pests.

Tomhip
      I did grow cobra one year at home and you are right a lovely bean ĺthe problems is I am thinking of the Allotment and I don't get there often enough to keep picking
      Thanks again all

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Ah, you have an allotment. In that case, why not try a few varieties, so you can compare? My gut feeling is that 'Desiree' might be the better keeper.

• Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,499
      Cara is a very good all-rounder (I'll be growing a few)
      Maris Piper superb for chips
      Desiree excellent for mash