potatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kaytutt, May 10, 2007.

1. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As mentioned before...here's my spotty spuds (I apologise for the picture quality....I'm rubbish at it!)
    Top of the leaf...
    [​IMG]

The underside...
    [​IMG]
    the spots have a sort of metallic sheen underneath... :confused: :( [​IMG]

2. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey windy - what you been up to ?

I think this may be "Capsid" bug. If it is, the brown spots will turn into little holes. How many leaves are affected ? If only a few, remove the affected leaves, and burn. Do not compost them.

Damage to crop will be very slight and not too much of a nuisance.

If the holes do develop, contact your local GC for a spray to get rid of the little bugs.

And smile !

3. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Phew!! Thank goodness for that [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks Oktarine! I'm in the middle of a battle with the slugs over ownership of my taytas....so the capsids will have to get in line :rolleyes: :D

My spuds are coming on really well, if a little spotty :rolleyes: and this recent rain has seen a surge in their growth - yay!!!

Right, off to ruin some capsids bugs party!!!! [​IMG] :D

4. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oktarine!!!!!Somebody!!! Anybody!!!! Help!!!! My boys tumbling toms that he so lovingly planted in a hanging basket are absolutely peppered in spots too :eek: :eek: ( Luckily I have some in reserve in the cold frame) Is it the same thing??? What will it do to the crop?????? Is this going to ruin all my veggies??? :eek: :(
    I thought this gardening malarky was supposed to be relaxing?? Between slugs, spots and gale damage, I'm stressed to the max :rolleyes: [​IMG] :D

5. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, :rolleyes: :D One row of my spuds is taking quite a beating wind-wise. The main stems are intact but they've lost a few leaves and are looking bedraggled to say the least. Will this bother them a lot???? They're in one of the more sheltered areas in my garden...but there's only one area of my garden that is truly sheltered from the wind and that's inside the house :D :D

6. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    could'nt help myself now i know how to put pics up heres my tats put the larger ones in mid march and the smaller end of march

[​IMG]

7. Kaytutt

Kaytutt Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If its any consolation I seem to have the same spots on my spud leaves (not all of them) and likewise on one basket of tumbling toms.

Both my toms and spuds have taken a beating from the wind in the past week or so and I assumed it was the wind causing the leaf damage :(

8. grubby mitts

grubby mitts Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i posted a thread title blight perhaps? i put some photos up. do they look like yours. no one has said for definate what it is yet

9. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Grubby mitts - Oktarine said that he thought mine could be caused by capsid bugs...I've taken off all the affected leaves and am keeping an eye on it. As for blight, I had a Google but my spots don't look the same...the ones I googled showed very large, manky spots where mine are small...at the moment :rolleyes:
    I'm sorry I can't be much more help, but this is my first attempt at growing veggies :rolleyes:

Kaytutt - I was wondering if perhaps the spots on my toms where caused by salt in the wind???? I have no idea to be honest, I'm just clutching at straws :rolleyes: Hopefully someone will be able to advise us all....??????

10. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Windy - seems you are in the wars ?

I suggest you take samples of your affected leaves to a local gardening centre for advice, as i would only expext the capsid bugs on the spuds, not on the toms.
    I wouldn't worry about the wind damage - imagine if you can acre upon acre of spuds that get battered by the wind on a daily basis - it does them no harm !

As for the blight question: This usually appears as large dark patches on the leaves, not small spots as we have here.

Windy - I know its no consolation but my spuds have no issues at the moment. As I said in previous posting, it should not affect your crop too much. My only concern is that its on your toms as well.

Let me know how you get on.

11. Kaytutt

Kaytutt Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Windy, salt could be a possibility? you obviously live close to the sea? and I'm less than a mile from the sea and my house is on the side of a mountain so quite exposed to the sea air

Anyway, the good news is, despite the spots on the (otherwise healthy) leaves, Hubby had a root around in the bag today and we found enough decent size spuds to have our first meal tonight [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. grubby mitts

grubby mitts Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i had a little feel around the sack and found a couple of small ones, think i'll leave them to get bigger

13. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys [​IMG]
    No more affected leaves have appeared on my spuds so fingers crossed [​IMG]

As for my tomatoes....was wondering if it's weather related as the spots are fairly evenly distributed over all the plants apart from the one in the middle (which could be a different variety????? I can't remember [​IMG] )
    Will find someone local who grows toms to have a look as I can't seem to take a decent pic of them.
    I will have to be more organised next year and record what I've done and planted and stuff...not sure the haphazard approach works so well with veg!! :rolleyes:
    On the up side....my Dwarf French Beans are through [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2