1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Preventing pallets rotting

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by nikirushka, Jul 22, 2016.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    I'm going a bit pallet-mad here. Already made a fence out of them:

2016-07-20 09.16.08.jpg

That's going to have old bricks underneath it to keep them from rotting, or at least slow it down (none of it is permanent except the posts so I can lift the pallets off to fix/replace/add the bricks).

Now I'm starting a new project, and need some suggestions. I have some smaller pallets left over which I've going to use to build a dog tunnel, as the dogs are a bit miffed that they've suddenly lost most of the garden! It'll be something like this:

2016-07-22 10.21.11.jpg

But a bit sturdier once I've screwed it all together! Now because it's going to be stood in the lawn, rotting is going to be an issue at the bottom and as it's going to have potted plants on top and dogs underneath, I want to preserve it for as loing as possible.

I'm going to dig trenches for the base to sink it a little and backfill to secure it. What's a good way to help stop the bottom edges from rotting (or at least slowing it down considerably)?

2. kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,858
    You could staple some thick polythene to the pallet that's going into the trench.