Problems with a new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Mike Graham, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I read on other websites that watering turf on a night is the worst time to do it, as it helps fungus spread and multiply, so since then i only ever water on a morning or middle of the day

2. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Have put some lawn fertiliser on lawn now, soluble stuff through the hose pipe, so should be well fed for the winter now :-) Hopefully come back nice next year

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I read on other websites that watering turf on a night is the worst time to do it"

They may be right. I doubt it would be a problem in mid-Summer temperatures though (whereas watering in hot sun is likely to cause much to be wasted to evaporation, and can scortch plants too)

As ever, though, if you ask two gardeners you'll get three opions :)

4. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    well I hope the fertiliser was an autumn feed one - ie low in nitrogen

5. Novice27

Novice27 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

I laid a new lawn in April. Aside from a few very minor worries all has so far gone extremely well with the lawn looking gr8.

I am quite sure that this is for 2 reasons;

I mowed at 7cm for the 1st few months (now I mow at 5 or 6). I have mowed every 4 or 5 days - this thickens the grass up also.

In additon, I don't water too much as this doesn't allow the roots to grow downwards. The further downwards the root grows (i.e. in search of water) the more hardy your lawn will be in dry conditions. When watered, it should be a good deep watering and not regular small amounts which will prevent the roots from working their way downwards!

Rob

6. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I have no idea, it was some Asda lawn feed.

Anyway, just back from a week away and the grass has greened up, almost all the lawn is green again now, but it doesn't look like its ready for a cut. Have really noticed autumn is here now, as everything has slowed down. Will leave it another week and see if it needs cutting then.

7. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Right, put some Autumn lawn feed on today (evergreen brand) after I'd cut it. It ays water in after 2 days if no rain, well I think its going to rain this week, but it does say only to start feeding.

Just to check, autumn stuff doesn't burn the grass does it? As mornings there will be a bit of dew on the grass and the fertiliser will start dissolving.

Thanks