1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Propogation tips

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Elina, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Elina

Elina Gardener

Part time CEO, full time house manager/maid x Mum
    Ratings:
    +44
    1500145363287744810356.jpg 1500145458723906818698.jpg 15001454871331281854846.jpg Hi I'm trying to propogate some plants and kept them in semi transparent box.

Now I have few questions
    1. Where should I keep them?
    a. In a west cornered out house with a bulb over them
    b. Under a tree in the west corner, as shown in picture.

2. How often should I water them?
    (As in picture it has mist in the box)

3. How to take care of them?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. Elina

Elina Gardener

Part time CEO, full time house manager/maid x Mum
    Ratings:
    +44
    15001467985811857106812.jpg 15001468483881386077065.jpg

In out house under a lamp, is it better? How?

3. alp

alp Novice

Mum
    Ratings:
    +962
    I'm not a gardener and I learn by following intuition. Using a shoebox with moisture inside is a brilliant idea as it keeps the moisture in and keeps the soil clean from bugs. I would sterilise the compost as well. Just in a corner where the temperature is constant and not more than 20C inside the box and a bit shady. I could be very wrong. I am pretty sure, apart from the fern and conifer, the rest will oblige .. Putting it under the tree is fine, but the concrete and bricks might heat up the box very quickly. Having said that, where exactly is Kimberley?

I would put the shoebox in the outhouse with a gentle light, the way you do .. or on a window sill where the temperature is constant, ie. not facing east or west. I could be very wrong ..

• Like Like x 1
    • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      Hi Elena, I hate to state the obvious here, but it all depends on what the cuttings are. Can you let us know what they are please .

• Like Like x 1
      • alp

alp Novice

Mum
        Ratings:
        +962
        hydrangeas will take very readily and so will the Euonymus-like plants. Fern I have had no experience and the conifer I have no experience either. While you're at it, stick in some salvias.. It's easy for them to take as well. Or Fuchsias .. Or .. Hehe, I'm getting carried away. As long as you can see tiny droplets of condensation on the top of the lid, Bob is your uncle!

• Like Like x 1