1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Prunus rusty red leaved Cherry tree NOT losing leaves

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Lady_Gardener, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Lady_Gardener

Lady_Gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I have Prunus rusty red leaved cherry tree many years old and for some reason so far it is showing no signs of dropping its leaves this year.
    Weirdly every neighbour in the street has the same type of tree in their front gardens and all of those have now lost all of their leaves except mine.

Mine was trimmed 10th October this year and no more than normal so a bit confused as to why this is the only one in the street with a full head of leaves with no signs of preparing to drop. It was here and a mature tree when I moved in almost 30 years ago and this has never happened before.

Any ideas why please?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Not come across a rusty red leaved cherry tree before so cant really comment.

Other than to say quite often if a tree is getting artificial light it can delay the leaf drop for a while, you sometimes see trees that have grown up through street lighting and that part of the tree hangs on to its leaves much longer.

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      It's quite possibly a symptom of what I think is a melding of the Season which is confusing plants into flowering beyond the season they are supposed to. I have a Clematis that should only flower in the Spring and probably your tree is still confused by the relatively mild weather, so your tree will, in the end, drop it's leaves.:dunno::snorky:

• Lady_Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Hi, Thankyou,

Well there is a street lamp directly across the road opposite the tree so that is interesting but at the same time the lamp has always been there and the tree is holding on to its leaves all around it not just the side that the lamp shines on.

I'm not sure what the tree is really called but its a common red leaved cherry tree, it might be a Prunus Cherry Plum tree but there are so many that look similar with different names so not sure which. It looks a lot like these pictures and flowers early spring AF9NTP.jpg B9CED6.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        :scratch::snorky:
        That looks very much like a Prunus cerasifera "nigra" to me......has it ever given a crop of cherries??

• Lady_Gardener

Ratings:
        +4
        Yes it has produced Cherries before as they dropped all over the pavement and my garden, not sure if it still does but it was also bigger then

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Okay, next question:heehee:...........what colour were the cherries??:scratch::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,077
            Looks like a purple crab apple to me.

• Like Like x 1
            • Lady_Gardener

Ratings:
              +4
              The Cherries were very dark, a purple red really, its definitely not a crab apple tree

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1