Pumpkin Growing Challenge 2012

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Steve R, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Mine are a complete dead loss this year, some growth died back and they then started up again only to stall a little while later. If they start growing again it will be a miracle.

Steve...:)

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Similar experience here. They all stalled as soon as they were planted out and started dying back. The 'Paton Twins' plant has died back to virtually nothing and stopped growing, but the two grown from seeds Steve sent me have picked up a bit, and one's now looking good. Luckily I have a spare still in a pot that will replace the failed Paton Twins plant.

P.S. My giant marrows, planted out on the same day have surged ahead and didn't suffer the same problems.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,994
    Been away for a week and most things in the garden have grown like topsy but my 'Paton Twins' is only growing very slowly. All the lower leaves are a sickly yellow colour, the growing tip looks nice and green and there are some male flowers. Just needs some sun.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Bearing in mind this years weather I'm glad I'm not taking part this year:WINK1:

5. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Here's my Paton's Giant, coming on nicely, there are flower buds, but I suppose the question is will the remainder of the growing season be long enough to produce a decent pumpkin?.....It's growing larger enough leaves at 2ft+ and its length is impressive; I think it likes the little "hollow" I've got it in, sheltered by my raspberries on one side and a reed fence on the other its in its own little micro climate...:biggrin::dbgrtmb:

Image037.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • JWK

Ratings:
      +48,994
      That's looking much better than mine Bilbo, well done!

I think there is still enough time in the growing season for us to get a decent sized fruit, just need some sunshine and we will be off.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Anybody else suffering from stem splitting on their pumpkins (or marrows) this year?

• JWK

Ratings:
      +48,994
      I've only got courgettes so far Scrungee, they have been just fine.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      No problems with splitting but marrows are being overtaken by male flowers and pumpkins look to be sulking:frown:

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I meant splitting of the stems at the base of the plants, not on the 'fruits'. Sometimes this doesn't make any apparent difference, other times it can stifle the plant. It just seems far more prevalent this year, especially with plants that should have the most vigour.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Yeh..got you Scrungee:dbgrtmb: but my plants have hardly got a stem on to split:frown:...it did happen to my pumpkin last year and i presumed it was curtains but it struggled on with a bit of support...not a massive fruit but still ok:dbgrtmb:

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      I've had split stems on my pumpkins last year and to be honest it didn't seem to make any difference at all...:blue thumb:

• OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,615
      I think mine have had it - were looking promising, flowers & spreading out, but it appears that the slugs & snails have had a party & all thats left is a stub & one leaf.

Most depressing - will plant the spares out tomorrow if it ever stops raining, but think I'm running out of time this year.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I think were're all having a challenge this year O.N..Wack a load of egg shells round them anything sharpe to deter the slimey critters...razor blades if needs must....you've just reminded me to put loads of chicken grit around mine:ccheers:...

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      My 3 pumpkin plants are stubbonly refusing to grow except for one which keeps trying to turn around and head towards the rabbit fence immediately behind it. Conversely, my marrow plants are romping ahead. Doesn't seem like a good year for pumpkins.