Rate Your Tomato Varieties

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kristen, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hmm, probably T&M? It's just that yours don't look the same as what I grew last year. Mine weren't round at all....

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I've got two Ferline plants Freddy, both giving me fruit the same. Did you grow it this year?

Wonder if anyone else is growing it this year for anothere comparison.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I don't think I've given Ferline a proper try this year, my fruit were a bit small and very late. The Blight resistance has been excellent though, it's the only tomato plant I've got left standing outside now, all the others have been destroyed. So for that reason alone I'm going to try it again :dbgrtmb:

4. Ariadae

Ariadae Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +679
    I managed 2 chocolate Cherokee which were delicious fried in a bit of oil. The pink brandy wine were the best tasting fresh, with a bit of salt and garlic, but again not much of a crop and fighting blight. I have seed saved from both to try again next year and for the seed swap. Agree about Sungold, lots of very sweet and tasty toms but small. Amish paste didn't fruit for me. Won't have much to freeze this year:(

5. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Can we rate them after a decent summer? My delicious taste ok, the "Big Boyz" have come in trumps once again, big and tasty, San Marzano? Outside ones not so good but greenhouse ones really nice.

Slow Blight got my Gardeners Delight and although the "Harbinger" planted outside with them didn't perform that well, they showed a good resistance to blight, as did San Marzano, both taste ok, nothing special, so Big Boy gets my vote once again!

That's my pennyworth!

• Like Like x 2
    • Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      Hiya John.

Yes, I did grow it this year. They however came to the same end as the rest of them, blight. I didn't spray when I should have, earlier on in the year, because it didn't stop raining. When it eventually stopped raining, I thought I'd got away with it. Lesson learned:blue thumb:

I've had a quick look at some online 'images' of Ferline, and thus far they don't look the same as the ones I had last year, strange...

Cheers...Freddy

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        'Tis Heat plus Moist that favours blight - you registered on the Blight emailing thingie? They will send you an email if there is a full Smiths Period in your area, which would alert you to consider spraying prophylactically.

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,517
        Hiya Kristen

Yes, I am. My overall impression of this service is that it isn't very accurate. As I said, I didn't spray because it wouldn't stop raining. During this time I had a few alerts, but no blight. I guess it's just a 'general' thing, and 'luck of the draw' comes into play. Anyway, I will be far less reliant on outdoor toms in the future, and like John said, I'll treat them as a bonus. As funds allow (my wife is about to lose her job), I'll be building another greenhouse over the coming months. An 8'x8' jobby should give me another 12 plants, I reckon:blue thumb:

Cheers...Freddy

• Like Like x 2
        • Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,499
          I think this "slow blight", "stem rot" took most of us by surprise, a lesson learned and a big "well done" to anyone who's managed a tomato crop of any kind this year?

• Like Like x 2
          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            As I posted on another thread, I got loads of alerts earlier in the year and didn't get blight despite not being able to spray until the rain stopped. I haven't had an alert for about 10 weeks now (nor for the postcodes to the North, South, East & West of me which I also registered), but during this 10 week alert-free period blight has got my outdoor plot toms, polytunnel toms, home outdoor toms and home greenhouse toms. I've now got no faith at all in that BlightWatch service.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,668
            :(

Not its fault though? as its only reporting Smiths Periods - which only indicates "ideal" conditions for blight to spread. It can spread at other times ... and you can either be lucky and not catch it, or through good hygiene you may have none lingering in your garden (but your neighbours need the same good hygene, and their neighbours ...)

Lots of people round here reporting blight on their Box hedges this year :( which is a rare-ish thing for Suffolk being as how we are a dry county.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
            Ratings:
            +31,832
            :dbgrtmb: It's a super, duper deal Scrungee. I'm saving a really really ripe Grade A one. Then I'm gonna prepare it properly with the 3 day soak etc. Will PM you when it's all sorted,
            thanks
            Jenny

• Like Like x 1