Ratski photoshoot! Everyone included!

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Whiley, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Ah sorry chuck. I am currently registered as non practising so can't treat any animals directly. A bit of friendly advice is all I can do for no monetary gain until I am better!.. plus your own vet would sue the pants off me - plus if we gave out ivermectin out willy nilly someone would find out you can use it on dogs but not realize it kills rough collies....DISASTER!

I wish we could do it at cost for responsible people like yourself... but it is a POM and drug companies will have their looney prices!

Sorry!

2. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ber-limey i had no idea about the rough collies!

Actually didn't know you could use it on dogs at all, i know its prescription free for rodents and small animals though.

Nah thats okay, i know theres legalities!

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :D Hey Whiley... I like your family.....!!!!! :D
    The only rats I have really come across have been wild vermin.....! :eek:

;) Your family is certainly NOT one of them..!!!!! :D Even I have to say they look "Cute"..... :eek: :D I am sure showing & being a member of the society makes you see them in a different light... But also it gives you a sense of purpose when all else might seem futile in life.... Hooray for pets..!!!! Keep up the good work..!!! [​IMG]

4. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed Marley, i call it my raternal instinct!

Thank you so much! I adore my family, and take every oppertunity to flash them about!

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :D And so you should too.... :D :D "Keep on Flashin'...."!! ;) :D :D Take care my dear... [​IMG]

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    My Favourite, Look at them eyes, Ahhhhh. DAISY.

[​IMG]

7. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    im warming to them whiley but i still couldnt have one down my jumper.. not yet anyway [​IMG] [​IMG] whiley do they ever bite you ;)

8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    [​IMG]

My fella James just saw this one and started singing...."Ben...."!

This is his favourite!

9. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh he is a Ben though isn't he!! My studmuffin. So proud of him. <3

Dee i knew you'd love your Daisydoodles. :D

Shiny they're fine down yer jumper, they snuggle up and pass out. [​IMG] I have a brilliant photo here somewhere, i'll post it in a minute.
    And i've only ever been biten by extremely abused rats that have turned out to be fine with a bit of 'rehab'. That and a couple of over protective mummies - but thats rare, most mums are happy for you to take them off her [​IMG]

10. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Rats as clothing accessories, not in the slightest bit wierd. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snug as a bug in a... well... cleavage.

11. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

Only a meanie would keep these girlies from the snuggles of a sleeping bag.

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Whiley Actually didn't know you could use it on dogs at all, i know its prescription free for rodents and small animals though. the racing pigeon fraternity use it to treat their birds it's used in humans to treat scabies although alternatives like permethrin is now being used and it can be cheaper.

13. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ooo that sounds interesting Walnut, i knew it was a biggy with pigeons but had no idea about any others. I'll keep an eye out for the Permethrin, see if its suitable for rodents, though i havent heard of it in the 12 years i've kept them, so one wonders if its appropiate for them or not.

14. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Ivermectin is not commonly used in dogs now that there are much better and safer antiparsitic drugs available. When I first qualified, I worked at a very rural, old-school mixed practice, which used ivermectin on dogs.

I would imagine that using it now in the same manner would be frowned upon, although there are plenty of sites on the net still advocating its use.

Re Permethrins.... these have been available for dogs as supermarket flea preparations for some years. It is very toxic in cats and FISH!

My problem is with these that the vet trade used to use these drugs regularly but they started becoming obsolete as fleas did start to show resistance to it and yet there was still a toxicity risk.

I have heard it can harm very small mammals such as mice, so would advise extreme caution if intending to use it on rats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pesticides/pesticides/permethrin/cox-report/cox.htm

http://www.exoticpetsvet.com/fleas.html

Whiley - I wouldn't consider using them if Ivermectin is doing the job ok.

15. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ivermectin is still my potion then, i did wander, what with never hearing about it linked with rodents before, and i've heard of most of them by this point!

Gorgeous day outside so i've opened up all the windows and doors for the rat room and conservatory for them :D They love it.

Onlyproblem is, the kids will be playing out side after school and they can see through the conservatory door to the rats, and they take it as an open invitation for play time, cheeky monkeys! At least i've trained them to knock on the front door first and ASK to play wiht them now!