Ratski photoshoot! Everyone included!

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Whiley, Apr 2, 2008.

1. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    By an amazing coincidence this quote by C M on the use of ivermectin on dogs you can use it on dogs but not realize it kills rough collies....DISASTER! was reiterated on the medical drama House last night, an invalid patient was treated with ivermectin and he had a collie help dog this had chewed some of the tablets and as a result died (they managed to lose the patient as well, not a successful night for House.

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Eek Gods Walnut

Spooky!

They both died??? Sounds like one of my average days at the office!

Only kidding folks! [​IMG]

Medical Drama House? Not heard of this Walnut.

3. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Whiley great shoots of your babies I must say Maurice is one of my favourites with his little white mark on his dark head he looks like a rebel punk!

I used to look after my high school rats in the holidays although I was never too keen to know what the science block did to the ones I didn't see from one holiday to the next! :eek:

Bob's soo not keen on Rats mainly thanks to James Herberts 'Rats' but then again he's a bit of a scaredy cat so I suppose he can be forgiven. Lol.Hel.xxx.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    C M House is on channel 5 thurs 9pm he's good if you believe all that stuff.

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Intresting pics whiely, must admit that the brown ones give me the shivers being a bit too close a resemblance to the verminouse type.

Never the less the agility and intillect of rats is amazing and facinating.

BTW, I liked the white and brown one!

7. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Nice photo shoot Whiley but what are those coloured ploppy things around ratties feet/ Is that their food?

8. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have posted this page to our daughter who loves ratties ....

9. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pro Gard - lots of people get the shivers over my poor brown chaps, but they're so handsome to me :D Understandable though! The brown and white one is Daisy, she is hysterical and everyones favourite :D

Thanks Terrier, those are dairy drops, they're vitamin suppliments like yoghurt drops that are flavoured with fruits. They love them!

Hi WInnie, welcome to the forum! Hope your daughter enjoys it!

10. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    They are all lovely, Whiley, some prettier than others.

I enjoyed reading the whole thread, it was very informative.

I noticed that the Hakuna Matata ones have the rex gene, at least as far as their whiskers go but not in the coats. I didn't know that rats had it, only heard of cats. Personally, I don't care for it - but those whiskers do look interesting - almost like a bad hair day!

Thanks for sharing these lovely animals with us. [​IMG]

11. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I admit i prefer the smooth hair, i never really noticed that mostly my Hakuna Matata rats are rex. Its not clear in those photos that they are actually in their coats, not just whiskers, but they're 'rubbish' ones as it were. :D Actually with terms of rex, in the rat world a rex is just like a rat with a perm. Where as in cats its much thinner and tighter curls. We have that too, but genetically its called a double rex, and it brings trouble medically with genetcs, and as in rats after a few months they become almost hairless. But we have a hairless too! Born that way, again not healthy and not just for chillies!! If you cross over certain genes the wrong way, it can produce other genes which cause havoc and make them poorly. Not sure how it works, i just keep out of it.

Eitherhoo, heres an example. A friend of mine with a pile of good healthy rexes.

[​IMG]

A young rather pathetic looking double rex with dumbo ears just to make it look even worse.
    [​IMG]

And an older balding double rex.
    [​IMG]

And a hairless. You can imagine how many of these in the rat community are named 'Gollum'
    [​IMG]

And this is something we're trying to figure out genetically with safer breeding right now.
    We don't know if its a sperate gene, but they're almost like half double rex, half hairless. We think it might be what happens when you breed double rex with a certain recessive rex gene carried by only one or two colours, but like i said, we're not sure yet.
    For the time being, we've named the hair type Peach Fuzz.
    [​IMG]

Class dismissed. [​IMG]

[ 10. April 2008, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Whiley ]

12. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    whiley, only first pic came out on your post. Can you try again please? didn't know you could get 'curly' hair on rats.

cheers

13. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thats odd, they're all working for me...

Trying again.

14. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Same here Whiley ... just the first 'group' pic shows ....

15. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    You can see the missing pics if you right click the mouse on the square where the pic should be, then click on properties. Highlight the URL ( everything from HTTP to JPG) right click again and click copy. Paste the URL into the address bar and press 'Enter'.

[ 21. April 2008, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: terrier ]