Raw files Image

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by wiseowl, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Ditto!:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,702
      RAW is WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get), it's the full information of the shot as recorded by the camera, and seen by the 'tog through the viewfinder.

ALL digital cameras without exception take the photo is RAW mode, but a majority of cameras then process (in camera) and store in jpeg and do not allow the 'tog access to that RAW file.

Jpeg is a version of the above, compressed heavily (reduced in size) using settings inside the camera that where set at the factory in another country, probably by someone who has never even visted ours.

Jpeg is also the accepted useable format for photographs in this digital age whether that is for viewing or printing. So RAW files must be converted to jpeg to be useable.

That said, these settings in camera, vary between manufacturers.

Stand two 'togs next to each other one with a Canon the other with a Nikon and have them take the same shot with the same lens and settings in jpeg mode, both shots will be completely different.

The Nikon shot will be (in my opinion) oversaturated, ie the colours will be too strong for the scene as it was. The Nikon user will say it's vibrant or punchy and that the Canon image is dull and lifeless. This is the difference between manufacturers and why RAW came about, to allow the 'tog to get the shot they want and to convert it to Jpeg using his own settings, not the settings chosen at the factory.

Steve...:)

After reading the above it can be perceived that there is not a digital photograph in existance that has not been edited in some way, shape or form. And this makes a mockery of the many photographic competitions one can take part in on the 1000's of photography sites across the net, most of them stipulate no editing at all or to limit to just a few things....I've never seen a comp that requests "Realism" or similar. Which in my opinion would be far better.

• Like Like x 4
      • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +29,477
        Thanks Armandii and Dave but I still think I could improve by understanding the modes and settings more.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,832
        When's our first lesson? Where's the classrom? Do I need to bring a packed lunch? Am I the only girl? :sofa:

• Like Like x 1
        • Tez

Tez Gardener

Ratings:
          +144
          I'd like to see examples/lessons of editing RAW files as I have very little knowledge of this but apparently it's open to soooo much more options than jpeg files, but how and where you do that is something I need to learn.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
          Ratings:
          +7,341
          Woah wo, I have got to learn to take the pix first
          We can't join and art class and ask how to adjust the Mona Lisa :-)

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,838
            I think, Jenny, that while Steve will show you examples of RAW files and editing them, his original offer was to show you how to handle a camera in Manual mode and understand what options you have when doing so. So I'd take it a bit at a time, get to know your camera in Manual mode, the use of apertures and shutter speeds. ISO's etc, and then start to learn about editing RAW files [for which you will need the appropriate software], but Steve will give you all that information in what I'm sure will be a excellent and interesting course.:thumbsup::snork:

I agree with you, strongy, the more you understand the modes and settings of your camera the better. But, as I said, your pics in Jpeg are of a very high standard anyway so whether you stick with Jpeg or dabble in RAW is up to you.:snork:

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
            Ratings:
            +31,832
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,838
            :lunapic 130165696578242 5: You'll be fine, Jenny, you've got a great brain.....just enjoy the course.:hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 1
            • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
              Ratings:
              +3,702
              Dont worry, course will be up and running tomorrow!

No need for a packed lunch!

Nobody needs to worry, I've had the same concerns over and over with this course people saying they are too thick or not bright enough. But I do have a 100% record with it and some of those have gone on to win competitions!

Back to RAW files and on topic now. I dont think I will be writing anything anytime soon about RAW editing, save for this. I use the same principles as I do when general editing in photoshop...as little as possible. If I have to use more than three tools I think that is one too many.

Some time ago I wrote an article about sharpening photo's, that was lengthy in itself and is just one small part of image editing. RAW image editing would require a book, indeed, many exist out there on the subject.

• Like Like x 1
              • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                Ratings:
                +7,341
                Just learning the manual control of the camera will be fine by me

Then I can worry about RAW and what to do

I think my biggest worry will be composition, getting a togs eye

Jack McHammocklashing (very RAW)

• wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                Ratings:
                +91,663
                Good morning I have just starting to use Raw files and yes my first(and probably all the rest) ;) images will be open to criticism but hey I can only learn form that,but I do believe that it opens a brand new world,it will probably take me months to get it right if I ever do but it is a fresh challenge,I have set my camera to taking one JPEG and one Raw file simultaneously :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
                • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
                  Ratings:
                  +3,035
                  Hi Woo, I've just had a look at the photos on your blog and they are excellent!!!

They seem to be much sharper than when you post them on GC. I've noticed a similar effect with many of the photos I've posted - they seldom seem quite as sharp as the originals.

• Like Like x 1
                  • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +48,979
                    When I got my DSLR, two years ago, I set it to save both RAW and jpg. To be honest I couldn't really see the difference on a computer screen between the RAW and the jpg (compressed) images. It's only when I zoomed in to a really high setting with photoshop that it became obvious. The only reason I saved them both was that I'd read my Pentax camera was not good at converting RAW images into the jpg inside the camera, and that you could get better results converting them manually with software on the PC. But I found the time and effort never resulted in anything better, although I never really knew what I was looking for.

After a few months I deleted all the RAW files and have my camera set to only save jpgs, mainly because the RAW files are 3 times the size and I was filling up my computer's hard disk with them.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                      Ratings:
                      +3,702
                      It has to be the right situation and conditions to get the best/most from RAW files.

If I am taking photos down at the allotment of progress for my blog, I use jpeg only. Thats good enough for that purpose. But when I go out to the fells/lakes I want the photo's to be the best they can be so I will capture both RAW and jpeg. The jpeg for immediate viewing or use if that is necessary and the RAW file for ultimate editing..also if required. I then generally use the jpegs as a kind of a thumbnail to see if a shot has good potential before opening the RAW version for editing, this is a time saver.

For those who have been to the lake district or for that matter any of the wild areas of this country you will know of the huge variety of colours, tones and hues that nature produces, and that every day that changes. In fact it can change with the light in a few minutes and you'll never see that again. This is one of the reasons why I use RAW and I have captured some spectacular photos doing so that using jpeg format would not have done so well with.

I'm an intermediate to pro user when it comes to photoshop and I automate much of my workflow to time save, I can rough edit a RAW file then apply those settings to the other 20 photo's taken at that same spot or time, and use that as a starting point for them, thus saving a lot of time. These are skills that are written about in online tutorials across the web.

But if I have to spend a long time editing shots then I know I have done something fundamantally wrong when I took the photo's. I generally spend no more than 2 mins editing a shot, much less in most cases and if I can automate some of that process it will take even less.

• Like Like x 1