1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

re cucumber.

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by peter121, Dec 3, 2016.

1. peter121

peter121 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hello.am i biting of more than i can chew. how to grow a cucumber plant in a pot in the greenhouse. easy or difficult. and best way to do this when to plant the seeds etc. thank you for looking. regards peter.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,177
    Whereabouts are you Peter? It would help to put your location in your profile then we can give better advice. Also is this a heated greenhouse?

Assuming you are in the Uk and with an unheated greenhouse you will have to wait till next April to sow the seeds.

3. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,739
    Hi Peter and welcome to GC. :dbgrtmb:

It's perfectly possible to grow cucumbers in pots in the greenhouse. I grow mine in the greenhouse in large 10/15 litre pots with fairly good results each year.

A few suggestions.

Choose an F1 hybrid variety which only produces female flowers.
    Sow just one seed at a time in a small pot, then plant it into the larger pot when the roots have filled the small pot.
    Fill the large pot with a soil based compost, or some good garden soil with leaf mould added, cucumbers take up a lot of water on hot days, more 'open' composts containing a high proportion of peat will quickly be sucked dry by the cucumber plant with its large leaves.
    Don't be in a hurry to sow the seeds in spring, late April/early May is soon enough, cucumbers dislike being cold and are more likely to fail as a result.

Hope you find this useful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • peter121

peter121 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
      thanks for info trunky. il be patient and wait till spring.regards peter.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,817
      If you're anything like the rest of us you'll be far too impatient to wait til April!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,046
        Not that I grow them anymore, but I think its the one greenhouse plant that people sow too early, it is really a plant of almost tropical conditions and it's not about how high the temperatures rise to during the day in a greenhouse, it's about how low they fall at night.

Good growing conditions are always about how low it goes, and when you bear in mind we can still be getting frost in late April, you have to admit it's a gamble getting cue seeds going before late April at the earliest.

If they get chilled they don't necessarily die, they just hang on, in suspended animation, making you think they are still viable, but once chilled there is no going back.

• Agree Agree x 5
        • Like Like x 1
        • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
          Ratings:
          +3,035
          I usually sow in early to mid April, but bring them on in big pots in our heated porch before I plant out in a polytunnel in mid May. Cucs as far as I remember, don't like temperatures below 10C as it sets them back.