Rebuilt my Greenhouse..... Finally.

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Webmaster, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,953
    Great job. I converted a shed on the allotment using reclaimed conservatory doors for the long sides and old glass refrigerator shelves for a couple of windows. I did have to buy some corrugated clear pvc for the roof as I didn't trust the structure to take the reclaimed windows I had on the roof. Wasn't a right angle in the thing as the previous tenant had built it themselves. Yours looks much more professional! Painting the internal walls white may be beneficial if you want even more light.

• Like Like x 1
    • Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
      +2,955
      I personally use plastic ones to be honest, metal last well, but plastic will last well is you leave them out of direct sunlight, which will obviously degrade the plastic.

Shhhhh, don't let the other half hear that!!

• Funny Funny x 2
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,198
        Mine [watering cans] are never really left in the sun, so they do last quite well @Webmaster. I've had that particular one for well over 10 years- possibly more like 15. ANother one I inherited here [11 years ago] developed a hole lower down, so I don't use it.
        It's just that the better one is now cracking, and bits are coming off round the filling hole so I fancied a change :)

• Like Like x 1
        • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
          Ratings:
          +4,816
          @fairygirl I was once given a (probably expensive) blue Alan Titchmarch metal can. It looked lovely but weighed a ton empty so I couldn't tell if it still had anything in it! Also the rose didn't sprinkle that well. I stick to plastic Haws with the metal spout end.

• Like Like x 1
          • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +4,198
            Yes - some of those cans are a ridiculous price @CarolineL !
            I wouldn't be getting anything fancy, and the weight doesn't bother me at all, so it's just a question of buying something that preferably isn't plastic, but it's not always easy to make those decisions.
            I checked with a seller to make sure the rose on their one was replaceable too.
            Thanks for your comment :blue thumb: