1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Red spider mite on Nectarine

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by ellabella, Sep 4, 2016.

1. ellabella

ellabella Gardener

Semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have a small Nectarine tree (fan-trained 4-5 years old) in my lean-to greenhouse. This year, for the first time, I had lots of fruits and they were growing nicely.
    Towards the end of July I noticed that it was looking a bit "off", the leaves were starting to take on a faint yellowish, mottled look. The same applied to my cordon tomatoes.
    Off I went on holiday for two weeks, with my clue-less (as far as gardening is concerned) son doing the watering. On my return there was no doubt, Red Spider Mite with quite a lot of webbing present. :yikes::yikes::yikes:
    I pulled the toms out right away and sprayed the tree with the recommended Bug Clear Ultra, according to the instructions. Re-applied after 14 days as advised. As the leaves fall, I collect them and get rid of them.
    Now, dear gardeners, what else can I do to avoid this happening next year? Can the mites overwinter somewhere? The greenhouse sits against a really old stone wall, with masses of holes and cracks in it, mite heaven perhaps? The tree is very close to the wall.
    Apart from a Dahlia (large) there are no other plants inside and this is the first time I have had any problems with pests or deceases in there.
    By the way, I harvested all the fruit before spraying and they were fine, apart from a bit unripe! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,391
    Hello ellabella, They probably will re-appear next year once it gets hot and dry. As the problem is in a greenhouse, your best bet for getting rid of them in future would be a biological control called phytoseuilius. If you Google it, there are various suppliers in the UK. It's a predator that feeds on the mites and it really does work!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,064
      I used to use the preditory mites and they do work, trouble I found was it ran out pretty expensive as you need new introductions all through the summer.
      And they aint cheap.

There are pesticides out there that work well, and only one application each year, but do they let the amatuers buy them, no way.
      If you know a fruit farmer just mention it.;)

• Informative Informative x 1
      • ellabella

ellabella Gardener

Semi-retired
        Ratings:
        +22
        Thanks noisette47, I will look in to the biological control!

• ellabella

ellabella Gardener

Semi-retired
        Ratings:
        +22
        Thanks Pete,
        Alas, I don't know a fruit farmer, that would have been handy!
        I will have a look at the predators, but will remember your advice re cost......

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,064