Refused to empty my green bin!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    The recomended lifting limit for manual workers is 25kg.

Im sure they could lift it, but for what they are paid (probably �£6-�£7 ph) why risk your back especially with a repetetive job.

The fact that in the old days bins were caried on the shoulder is not relevant, in the past it was the norm to use chainsaws without protective gear, thankfully weve moved on.

I personally do ocasionly lift very heavy weights if I cant move them any other way eg 80kg compaction plate very old 100kg flagstones, Rail sleapers etc but I wouldnt on a repetetive daily basis. As a selfemployed person this is my perogative and im being well paid to do it.

I certainly wouldnt risk my back for �£7 ph.

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Pro, they dont lift the bins, they pull them, There wheely bins... if i can take mine and my neighbours out to the kerb then they can surely pull them a couple of feet to the bin wagon...
    Maybe Helen didn't give them a xmas tip this year [​IMG]

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Dee normally a cheeky smile wins many hearts!

But it did get me thinking (I know strange thing for me to do!) about the 25kg that Pro Gard was on about.

So yesterday I decided to weigh one lot of my recycle stuff from my kitchen recycle caddy/bucket I was pretty amazed that the weight was well over 2kg and that was not my whole day's recycling matter of which must be near 5kg a day.

It might seem an awful lot of waste but we use fresh veg and eat lots of fruit every day, so you can see how things can pile up pretty easy as all the cuttings go into the green bin as well.What's a girl to do?
    Elle.xxx.

4. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guilty of slipping a bit of earth in our green bin [​IMG]

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    NG next door neighbour, slips plaster in his (hes a plasterer) I could of murdered him :D

6. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hel, how did you go one with requesting 2nd bin? We're not lucky enough to have green bin but when I asked for a 2nd blue (paper) bin they were more than happy to provide one, free of charge.

It did make me chuckle when the lady on the phone told me I didn't have to wait in for delivery and that they would leave it in a safe place near the house!!! :D

I wasn't nearly so happy when I complied with the councils request this morning. As per instructions, I didn't put my wheelie bin out last night, so as not to cause obstructions on the kerb and to avoid it being blown about etc. Instead, I got up to put it out before 7am, as instructed. The only problem being, the binmen came at half past bl**dy 5 in the morning!!! :mad:

Email to the council already sent!!!

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hel why don't you share it out I had 4 bins on the go the other week when I cut a holly down, lots of people don't bother putting much in them so I help them out as long as you ask they donn't mind,I do put them out and take them in for them. [​IMG]

8. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes I did that last year when I took up all the old plants and stuff my bin got full so I asked Mark in the upstairs flat if I could use his bin no prob made the whole job a lot easier and if I need to do something again I can borrow his bin again I love my nieghbours

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Glen not really good news from the council they said if I'ave got too much green stuff couldn't I just pop along to the local skip with it?

Always nice to see where our council tax money is going!

Walnut, Nathan I was allowed to use my old neighbour's bins both here in this house and at our old house before...even though my new neighbours are ok now (thank goodness and also thanks to a bottle of blonk I gave them at christmas) I wouldn't like to fall into the trap of using their bins as they are no the tidyest people in the world!

Just to give you an example last green week their blue box was overflowing with cans of unwashed dog meat and so much so there were four or five carrier bags on top of the box!

The little 'green men' refused to remove it and although our collection was on a Friday it was still right on the grass verge right until the following Friday and only then did they remove it onto their drive!

Yuk I didn't realalise some people could be so lazy and only hubbie works, both are fit and just turned 30. :eek:

As for my green stuff it looks like another compost bin for me!Hel.xxx.

10. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    we are ok in manchester .. no weight limit
    [​IMG] sorry he doesnt do yorkshirrre :D :D ;)

11. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    That photo Ste looks like poor old Bob when he's off to the local skip on the 'plastic bottle run'.....we get through so many plastic items I'm surprised the council hasn't started doing a plastic collection round as I'm sure we are not alone with the amount of recycle plastic items we get through.Hel.xxx.

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    After many phone calls and emails I finally get one that claims I can no longer put vegetables or fruit peelings in my green bin this is what they have said

'Unfortunately we cannot offer additional green bins to householders. We can only issue one green bin per household for garden waste and card. This is to allow waste
    that may have been placed in your black bin to be diverted from landfill. The rationale behind this, is to prevent us collecting additional waste, which in turn would
    increase our waste arisings and affect out recycling/composting rate.

Please also note the following:

The following information refers to the recent changes in the collection of raw fruit and vegetable peelings in your green bin. Since the initial introduction of green bins in Rotherham, there has been a change in the Regulations that effect the collection and disposal of food waste including raw fruit and vegetable peelings. The Regulations that impact on our Garden Waste service are the Animal By-Products Regulations 2005 (Regulation EC 1774/2002).

Under the above Regulations, household kitchen waste is categorised as category 3 low risk catering waste, where catering waste is defined as:

"All waste food including used cooking oil originating in restaurants, catering facilities and kitchens, including central kitchens and household kitchens."

Garden waste or "green waste" is not affected by these Regulations. However, a bin containing garden waste with some kitchen peelings would now be categorised as catering waste and must be treated at an approved licensed processor using an In Vessel Composting system. Our current composting system is open windrow composting which does not comply with the above Regulations. Therefore, from 10th September 2007 we will no longer be able to collect any fruit or vegetable peelings in your green bin. We will still be able to collect garden waste and clean cardboard.'

Can't recycle as much as we would normally do but I think it's just a cop out to charge us extra if they ever do start to charge by the bin weight....so much for a green environment I think its disgusting! :( Hel.xxx.

13. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a load of rubbish. I cant believe that! Is getting a compost bin out of the question Helen?

14. Tim D

Tim D Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    What if your garden wast contains damaged fruit or veg? Can you put that in? Why does it only refer to fruit and vegetable peelings?

There doesn't seem to be any logic or common sense being applied ot this.

Hel, do you have any space for a wormery to dispose of your peelings?

15. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Helen, you should pass that on to your local paper, because that is downright ridiculous. Why can they not compost raw fruit and veg peelings, that is what composting is all about. I would love to meet the pompous ass who wrote that drivel.