Refused to empty my green bin!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Feb 1, 2008.

1. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It looks like I now will have to have even more compost bins on the go, in no time at all it will be upto four or five...... I'll end up with my own recycling centre at this rate!

Now very little will actually go in the green bin I can't put my hedge cuttings in as the bin will not even take a tenth of it, we are even getting rid of most of our grass so all that will be able to pop in is the weeds and the odd little bit of cardboard!

It's really maddening as the letter stated that all this came into force as from 10th September 2007 but none of us got any kind of notice that the council was intending to do this!

A classic case of taking our taxes (well Bob's anyway) and slapping our hands for being a good greenie!Hel.xxx.

3. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all,
    Helen - don't know if i've missed something here, but why won't they let you put hedge cuttings in? Maybe your green bins are not the same as ours (??!!). Our green bin is for garden waste, is yours the same? I love filling that bin up, makes you feel like you've done something with your garden!

Slightly off point...
    It's all very well for councils to issue bins, but how many are we supposed to accomodate in our gardens? i hate seeing mine when i look out the window. i feel for people with back yards or very small gardens, there can't be much room for doing anything in them! Gardens, i mean, not bins :D Although I'm not sure about Helen [​IMG]

cheers

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I refused my brown garden waste bin. Instead I put about 90% of my garden waste on the compost heap and share a bin with my neighbour for hard wood cuttings.

5. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Big sorry for earlier post, our bin is actually brown not green but would still like to know about hedge cuttings in your green bin Helen.

Sorry for any confusion, you know what i'm like
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

cheers

6. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Actually our green bin is for normal household waste, is that what you have? Have i just totally confused everything now :confused:

i'll just walk quietly out the door.... [​IMG]

cheers

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sandra sweetie when I said I can't put my hedge clippings in I didn't mean that I wasn't allowed to I mean they just wouldn't fit in !

All our garden side, back and front (notice I didn't put in order back side! :D ) except for a five foot drive gates and another five foot of next doors outhouse and of course our little front gate all our gardens are surrounded by hedging and just a little trim fills two large builder's bags.....lucky for us we can squeeze one of those into our scenic otherwise I just don't know what we would do! :eek:

Needless to say when we do have to 'do' the hedge trip run to the skips Bob and I look like we are hauling a couple of dead bodies up the ramp! :D Hel.xxx.

8. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Got ya Helen, you know what i'm like [​IMG]

Cheers

9. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Daisees wrote
    there's the solution then, send your bin down to Hel :D

No that wouldn't work either, Daisees bin is the wrong colour [​IMG]

10. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    we only get one black wheely bin picked up every two weeks,one little black box with net to cover,and a plastic sack for newspaper only, wont take envelopes with see through windows,wont take junk mail wont take old phone books,catalogues hell thats a hanging offence,the bins have to be lined up the pavement like soldiers all facing the same way,once there empted they are left in the middle of the car park,first one home has to drag them back to the pavement so that you can get your car in,and chase all over the neighbourhood looking for the plastic bag that has by this time landed in the sea,bin men here have a great life ,they dont lift a thing,its all done by remote arms

11. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    And you pay for the privilige, Kathy. ;)

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sandra sweetie you are forgiven ;)

Kathy it is a nightmare isn't it? We try to do our best (well most of us do) and it all ends up as a royal pain in the ar*e.....goodness knows what will happen if the council starts to charge us by the weight of our bins! :eek:

Well after all the ding dong with the green bin I have made it my mission to at least put something into the green bin and for the last couple of days I have been shredding loads of paper etc. I'm not saying we are horders but I have ended up half filling the bin....just hope it's not a windy day when they come to collect otherwise it will blow every where!Hel.xxx.

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Don't allow paper in ours elly nor cardboard but in the next county they will let you put cardboard in.

14. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    No cardboard we have to take all cardboard to our skip.
    Green box for glass,papers,plastic all tops of course have to be taken off and put in black bin.
    Which gets lifted avery Friday and they are pretty good as most of us puts a brick ontop to save lid blowign away and they then put brick back in and sit box on lid and put in to our pathway.

As for garden refuse every 2nd Tue then same with normal balck wheelie bin every two wks.

On the whole they are not too bad.

But for anyone who is not able to get rest of rubbish to skip it would just go in bin to landfill site.

So really think should be more done kerb collection to help old folks and anyone else who cant get to skip.

15. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi David, Hel,Walnut,and Scotkat,why dont all these councils get together and make the same rules for everyone,we have the same council and its like they cut the village in half,rules for one half,rules for the other,same with the posty ,we get our mail some days 1:45 ,and thats supposed to be first class :(