Relax...eat a banana....

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Banana Man, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    My favourite ways of consuming a banana or two

banana sandwich - has to be white bread though!
    mashed with some evaporated milk and maybe a sprinkle of sugar
    blended with some cold milk and sometimes a spoonful of icecream
    sliced onto a bowl of cereal - current favourite Shreddies
    in a banana split (mega yum!!)
    baked in caramel
    just peeled and chomped!

Can I also appeal for everyone to try and used Fair Trade bananas? Firms trading ordinary bananas give their workers slave rate wages and conditions. FT stuff are community projects and most of the profit goes to the workers thereby improving their quality of life - and they're not any dearer than the regular ones.

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Hi MMD, my fav at the moment is 1/2 pint of milk and a couple of bananas whizzed up into a smoothie [​IMG]

3. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Take some Bananas, put a little slit along the inside of the curve, slip in a Cadbury's Flake, and a splodge of rum, wrap in foil and bung on the BBQ!!!!! MMMMMMM!!!!YUM!!!!!SLURP!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    and don't go near the great GC weigh-in for at least 3 months....... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,174
    Hi BM
    Great info - I'll never be ill again. :D :D
    The other year I read two research articles about mosquitos (whatever turns you on!!) and they said that mosquitos love bananas and, if you've eaten them, can smell it on your skin from two miles away. They said that if you are going to tropical areas and have a tendency to be bitten by mosquitos you should not eat bananas. They also said that eating Marmite will keep the mosquitos away. Apparently this research was to do with malaria.
    Whilst we were away this winter we toured a banana plantation and it was very interesting. They also showed us how they are very careful about picking them because snakes love to sleep on the bananas. Do you have trouble with snakes on your bananas? [​IMG] [​IMG] :D :D

Hi michaelmasdaisy
    I heard on the radio yesterday that Sainsbury only sell fairtrade bananas. Do you know if this is true? [​IMG]

----------------
    shiney

6. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Hi Shiney, no snakes only monkeys !

[​IMG]

Wow, 2 miles. No eating bananas for me this summer. My wife likes marmite, maybe thats why I am so tasty and she never gets bit ?

You do some really cool stuff shiney ! Visiting a banana plantation. I love to see footage of plantations just acres of banananananananannaananans !!!! Where did you go this time mate ?

7. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I believe it is, shiney, tho I always get mine from Asda - always 6 bananas for 97p no matter what the weight/size is. Can't argue with that!

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,174
    Hi BM

We went to two banana plantations. One in Guatemala and one in Costa Rica. I didn't get any good photos - sorry I should have thought about taking some for you. [​IMG]

Here's a photo of a feral one [​IMG] - well it was growing in the wild.

[​IMG]

and a slightly blurred one of some in captivity and wearing their blue condoms.

[​IMG]

The 'condoms' are put on them to contain the anti-insect mixture and to keep birds out. In most countries the have an insecticide put in them but in Costa Rica they are trying to be greener so use a mixture of Tea Tree plus another natural insecticide (can't remember what) plus lard!!! They say that this works well but they still have to add a small amount of insecticide.

When they pick them they are then put through a chlorinated wash to totally disinfect them and then stored in sealed containers at 17 degrees C where they will keep for 3 months. The plantations only get five dollars per bunch - about 100 lbs in weight. Before they cut the bunches from the plants (in all the countries we went to they emphasised that bananas are really plants and not trees - although everyone calls them trees) they cut half way through the main stem of the 'tree' so that the trunk leans over. Then they lift the condom with a hooked pole and look for snakes. They can see the bunch much better with the trunk leaning over.

They make use of nearly all the banana plant. Fresh leaves are used for thatch and old leaves are used as mulch.

That's all I can remember from our guided tour.

-----------------
    shiney

9. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes Shiney I remember these banana trees very well indeed. in Sri-Lanka we had about 12 trees in our garden. my mother never bought bananas for us but we never got sick of eating them. the flower bit at the end of the fruit is a delicacy in itself if cooked with the right spices.after the fruit comes off the tree you have to cut it down as it does not produce any more fruit so the whole tree is either thrown on the compost heap or given to the elephants to eat.
    very nice pics Shiney.

10. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,174
    Hi FANCY
    Your right, banana 'trees' only produce once and then die, that is why they are technically plants and not trees. They still look like trees to me. [​IMG] The plantations don't have a problem with that because the 'trees' have young plants growing to replace the one that dies each year. They told me that when the trees produce more than one young plant it takes an expert eye to tell which is the best to keep.

-------------
    shiney

11. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Hi shiney, amazing trips you go on. The plantation looks amazing, how all garden centres should look! :D Is there a specific snake that likes the bunches to rest on ?

12. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,174
    BM
    I don't know, but from the workers' reactions I think they are nasty ones! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

--------------
    shiney