Removing bramble roots ........ the easy way?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by TheMadHedger, Feb 22, 2024.

1. Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,992
    The Chillington is similar to what I use. Mine is a Draper brand digging hoe and was about £20 from Amazon. The head is quite heavy and sharp and does a good job going through roots. I even managed to remove an old rotten tree stump that's been in my way for years.

2. Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,994
    Oooh, that looks like another tool I need.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Ergates

Ergates Super Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,182
      I bought mine during lockdown, but struggled with it at first. The head kept coming loose from the handle, despite all the instructions that came with it, and I didn’t want to risk splitting the wood handle by putting a nail in it ( actually I would have got OH to do that)

Although I could see it had great potential, it was driving me mad. However, a couple of years in the shed seems to have helped! It has made very short work of a considerable patch of brambles, which would otherwise have involved a lot of bending down. I’m no good at digging, and although I get a lot of use out of my mini mattock, I’ve had to give up using the big mattock. ( Too heavy to lift, and the raised eyebrows of my gynae surgeon were enough to further dissuade me)
      There are lots of videos to be found, showing one being put through its paces. I’d never seen one before, even in the posh garden centres, but they are routinely used in other countries as an alternative to regular forks and spades.