Retaining Wall

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Sheal, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    Sheal, what purpose does the bank serve? It looks as though your plot is raised, you have a steep bank behind your fence down to the road, at the top is your fence and in front it looks as though this area is just a 'lip' on top of the bank? Is this built up part actually, structurally, required for anything? If not I'd be tempted to shift the rocks and evenly distribute the remaining mud across the lawn, extending the fence down if needed. My other option would be again to remove the rocks but to make the walled area a grass slope without the raised area for planting. Add a few tall trees to grow up and break up the wind.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,899
    Longk, I don't think it will be possible to do what you suggest. The area of the bank behind the fence is the same as in front. If I was to remove the soil from my side I think the remains of the bank the other side would collapse onto the road.

I think the only option is to re-face what's already there. Thanks for the idea though. :)

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,899
    The only purpose the bank serves is division between my garden and the road, with properties at the back the fence on top gives us privacy. This goes for all the properties either side of mine as well. The bank is the same depth both sides, so no my plot isn't raised. In fact I spent 18 months lowering the lawn area by 12 inches. There is a gentle slope in all the back gardens running from left to right though.

I can't remove the bank as this runs through a dozen properties and probably has planning restrictions anyway.
    The garden is only 30ft deep so sloping is not an option either, I would lose to much ground. It really is just a case of re-facing the bank and re-planting. But re-facing with what is the question.

Thanks for your help. :)

4. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    Just done a (crappy) drawing to show what I meant.............

005.jpg

5. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,899
    It's a good drawing longk and a good idea, but as I replied to Loofah I will lose more ground from my garden. It would also make it difficult getting to the side of my shed where my composter is.

Sorry, to keep putting obstacles in the way, but some sort of vertical wall really is the only way to go I think. :)

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,479
    Off topic :love30:

Sheal, your problem has reminded me of the flooding of New Orleans by Katrina. The design of their defences was similar to your bank and fence but on a much bigger scale.

There was a high soil bank built around Lake Pontchartrain (a giant levee) with a solid steel piling fence to keep the water back when there were storms and hurricanes. The army engineers built it but were either incompetent or couldn't be bothered to drive the pilings down to normal ground level. Therefore, when hurricane Katrina hit (which was the same time as high tide) the water washed away the soil under the fencing and the whole thing collapsed - causing massive flooding.

Of course, they had also put in other defences. There are canals that take the excess water to the sea and they have pumping stations along the canals to pump the water away. This was where they made their other mistake - definitely incompetence in my opinion. The pumping stations were there for when there was serious flooding. Unfortunately they had these pumps connected only to the national grid - without backup generators. The hurricane took all the power out - so no pumps!!!

There were many other incompetences and corruption with the rescue. In our media there was mention of the money and help not getting there - just like the third world countries but, as with many things, you needed to be there to understand how the locals felt.

This picture gives a good idea of what they felt about the government.

[​IMG]

I deleted all my photos of the upsetting scenes, such as the markings the rescuers painted on the houses to show where bodies needed to be recovered (they were too busy getting survivors out) and markings showing where there were live pets that survived but needed to be fed and, hopefully, rescued before they died.

Sorry, it all came back to me and I had to let it out. :love30:

7. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,899
    Shiney, it's not until you see something like this with your own eyes you realise how desperate and emotional it is. It stays with you for a long time. :(

8. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    I was leaving Houston as the refugees were arriving and that was bad enough - whole families turning up with their lives in "hand luggage".

9. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,899
    http://www.tobermore.co.uk/secura_products.aspx

I've been thinking about my garden wall over the last couple of weeks and decided it's best to replace it. Being on a tight budget I've been having a look around the internet to see what's available at a reasonable price and came up with the above site.

I've also been out and about today to see about availability in local builders merchants. These blocks are available here via order and work out at less than £200 for the complete wall. With the appearance of stone, they give a 'weathered' effect which will suit my needs. :)

10. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,479
    Looks good :dbgrtmb: but I don't know anything about them (didn't have time to read how they are secured together).

11. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,899
    They're not secured together Shiney, which is why it's classed as a gravity wall. The blocks are just layed in rows side by side and the bank will be held back by the weight of the blocks. :) Apparently these are used a lot in America.

12. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,341
    Sheal are you "sure" on the price, basic house bricks are 50p each and you would need 1500 for a three foot wall, and that cost does not include mortar, and labour ?
    (their "system" is only £200 and looks very attractive)

Your present retainer looks good apart from the last six feet, that has collapsed
    I am sure the rest is just an embankment secured by large rocks, which is fine and stood the test of time, only where they gave up and used pieces of slate has it breached

Therefore, unless you want the expence I would suggest you source some more similar rocks to the ones already there, almost certainly from a beach or headland

The link you provided the solution looks very attractive

Jack McH

13. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,899
    Jack, yes the price is correct. The blocks are made of concrete, not the same as bricks, which is why they are cheaper. I have priced them locally. :)

The present wall has already collapsed, as you say at one end, it is also beginning to give elsewhere along it's length. I can assure you the people that lived here didn't give up and use slate. Everything in the garden was bodged to the 'nth' degree. I know the person who lived next door at the same time and she confirmed that, saying the people that lived here had some very strange ideas, to put it politely. :scratch:

If I was to get caught removing rocks from our beaches, I'd be fined heavily and knowing my luck somebody would catch me. :)