Rhubarb

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Swansea Jack, Nov 20, 2011.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Jack, I agree with Jim. You're better off putting the Rhubarb and pot in the ground and let it go through the Winter. Leaving it in the house could make it "soft" so that when you do put it out it might attract rot or a disease.:D

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881

Ever heard of " hardening off " Armandii? It`s how you gradually acclimatise plants grown inside to an outside enviroment without any detrimental harm to the plant. Putting them in the cold wet ground now is too much of a risk.:thumbsup:

3. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Maybe so, Dai, maybe so. But Rhubarb is renown as being as tough as old boots and what with the mild session we all appear to be having I really don't think there's much danger as yet. I use the method of hardening off all my potted plants all the time but there are certain plants that don't need it. :DOH: I also still think having a really hardy plant like Rhubarb overwintering in a house would do more harm than good.:mad::WINK1: But that's just my opinion and I'm sure other people will differ in that reasoning.:D:stirpot::what:

• Like Like x 1
    • Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Hi all
      Thanks for all the advice, there seems to be a little difference in opinions. As a compromise how about putting the sprouting rhubarb in a pot in the shed.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Yes, that should be alright, Jack!! Oh, by the way, the usual advice is not to pull your Rhubarb sticks until at least the second year. If I split and move mine I usually wait 3 years, but as I have more than one clump I sometimes cheat and go for the 2 years. Rhubarb Crumble............can't you just taste it?!!!:heehee::D

• firsttimer

firsttimer Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Guys need help looking for a variety that grows well in shade and sun as the spot i've got has only got the sun for just over half the day. Any ideas folks looking to put them asap aswell.
      Tel

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,838
      I don't think you'll find a problem with the Rhubarb only getting half a day of sunshine. The last few Summers we've had haven't give us much sun anyway, but the Rhubarb, with it's huge leaves, is quite an efficient converter of photosynthesis to sugars so it will tolerate some shade.:D

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        I always that rhubarb could tolerate full shade, but then I read that it likes sun, and everything in between.

I know that its wild (and poisonous) cousin is a woodland edge plant, thriving in damp dappled shade.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I've got a cousin just like that too Dave. Hollow Phil.

• Like Like x 3
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          No, you're correct Clueless, the original species is a plant that still grows on the fringes of Woodland, so the improved versions have retained the ability of take shade. Over the years, due to lack of space, I have split and replanted my Rhubarb in some very shady places and always had a good crop.:D

• Like Like x 1