Rock Dust

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by blacksmith, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Hairy Gardener

Hairy Gardener Official Ass. (as given by Shiney)

Official Ass.
    Ratings:
    +1,468
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have been contemplating this myself...

It would be interesting to hear from those that tried the Rock Dust on the results that they had.

I have used a steeped compost tea this year as a fert, and think it has made a difference. Certainly plenty of GREEN growth, which may indicate high Nitrogen content, but somethings like Cosmos have seemed reluctant to flower. Additional Tomato feed has now brought them into bud.

Rock dust was next on my list as I am trying to be as organic in my flower garden as I can, my beds and borders could certainly do with a tonic, that's for sure. Being on a very limited budget since my illness, I have looked for ways of doing the best by my garden on what I can afford.

Should this Rock Dust give the results that I have seen on UTube, it would be cheaper to add a couple of bags of this and only a 3rd of the compost needed (imho) to give some vigor back to my garden. I know I need compost to help the structure, and will continue to add as funds become available, but as a good all around fert, Rock Dust is tempting.

Another long one from me, never did get the idea of 1 word replacing 3 lol...

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    I have never seen it for sale in the shops , otherwise I would've given it a try , I use bone meal in the spring thats about it , I have tried Seaweed feed expensive but goes along way and deffo gives the plants a boost I use it mainly on my tree ferns but also on the daylilys middle of May , at this time of year most mixed borders are starting to look a bit ropey and tired , mine are !

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,239
      Just got a 10kg bag from B&Q.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248
      I bought a bag from B and Q last year , and too be honest did not notice any difference . It must be worth a go though Gdnam and Jazzsi , let us know how you get on with it.
      I have used seaweed lawn fertiliser this year and also think it has made a difference . Then again this years weather has been so different . For next year what is a good general seaweed fertiliser ? I can't recall seeing one on sale.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Need to do half & half to convince yourself that it is making a difference, or not, otherwise the weather, from year to year, makes it to hard to make a comparison.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Hairy Gardener

Hairy Gardener Official Ass. (as given by Shiney)

Official Ass.
          Ratings:
          +1,468
          That is pretty much what I had in mind. Although it would also mean having the same plants in both areas, which could be difficult as I have several micro-climates and slightly different soil conditions in my garden.

I expect that if I used just 1 bed or border and divided it there would be some leeching of the goodies and this would not be representative of separate trials.

B&Q seem to be my nearest supplier, so I might pop in for a bag....

Thanks for the replies.