Rock garden ideas

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Jack Sparrow, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    IMG_2380.JPG Limelight with delphinium and persicaria

• Like Like x 4
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      Great photo @Verdun.

I have chopped down the sumach. The space looks a lot bigger without it. I have yet to tackle the roots. The whole area needs digging out anyway so that is a big job I'll tackle at some point.

I have drawn a template of the area on my computer. I have also drawn some basic generic flower shapes matching actual flower mature size and colours. I will play around with those from time to time to see how they mesh together.

I asked a question in a different thread but I guess it could be just as relevant here. I have a dwarf sunflower in a pot. It is looking a bit worse for wear as it is. Is there any benefit in planting it in the scheme. One supplier suggests that they make a good border or low hedge. If they are annuals as stated then that would not help me.

G.

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,486
      The roots Jack Sparrow......asap! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,414
        I had some thumb twiddling time today and looked closer at that hydrangea limelight. The write up says it reaches 2.5m high x 2.5m across. That would take up virtually all of the space on its own. if I planted it would I be able to control it so that it didn't spread out so far? I see there is a smaller version but that is far too small.

G.

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,486
        You prune it every year Gary but, yes, Limelight will grow to that size. Mine does, prob more in width. It is a plant that wants reasonable soil with reasonable organic matter in it; in poor soil it will struggle to make anything like that. However, to produce those huge flowerheads and display them properly it should be a bush of such stature. :)