Rocks/Paving Slabs/Bricks etc underground

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by LordAlwold, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,892
    Good luck with the digging, I know exactly what you're going through I had to do the same with my back garden but it's worth it. :) I had half an hour in the garden today before the skies opened, it's so frustrating isn't it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +23,866
      I'm digging out a huge conifer stump (some roots) at the moment so feel your pain! I slightly underestimated the task and the access is not great. I ache a lot lol

• Like Like x 1
      • LordAlwold

LordAlwold Gardener

Ratings:
        +23
        Yes, I've got a bit of restricted access too,right by a brick wall! Still it can and by Jove will be done!

• Like Like x 1
        • LordAlwold

LordAlwold Gardener

Ratings:
          +23
          On another future note... my Hover 'Mo Vac' mower is just about coughing and spluttering it's way around at the moment and it seems I may have to book him into a retirement home shortly. So sometime in the next month or so I'm looking for a new, value for money and reliable mower. As I shall be sowing some lawn seed soon I'm after one (I dare say most of them do) that has blades you can raise up and down. Any suggestions folks?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,892
          Anything but a hover mower! Most mowers do have blades you can adjust but obviously you'll have to check on that when you buy. Do you want a motor mower or electric?

• LordAlwold

LordAlwold Gardener

Ratings:
          +23
          Ideally a motor one eventually but as I've some severe cash restraints at the moment I'll look into an electric one. Mind you are there any reasonably priced motor mowers?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,892
          There's a whole range of different motor mowers now and also some for smaller gardens. The price range is fairly wide too. I haven't had an electric mower for about thirty years so can't help you with those. I bought a Hayter five years ago and wouldn't recommend it, I find it temperamental with starting especially when it's hot. I've been told by a dealer on the quiet not to touch Mountfield, the motors are now built in China and not reliable. I had a Honda for fourteen years before I bought the Hayter and now wish I'd bought another one. It had never let me down and the only reason we parted company was because parts had worn out and I could no longer get replacements. These mowers I have mentioned are middle price range.

Have a look at your local dealers, online and places like B&Q as well, that will give you an idea on the range and prices. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • LordAlwold

LordAlwold Gardener

Ratings:
            +23
            Hello folks, still hard at it! I've just got hold of some grass seed and top soil. The patch I'm looking to cover is 36 ' x 18', on the grass seed box it says 'covers 45 square feet' something tells me I'm going to need a lot more seed. If so how much more would I need to get hold of?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +53,892
            I think you've under estimated just a tad LA! :) Now I'm hopeless at maths but my other half isn't, he's worked it out and says you will need another 13.4 boxes. I trust his maths but you might want a second opinion.

• Like Like x 1
            • LordAlwold

LordAlwold Gardener

Ratings:
              +23
              Curses! I had a feeling that'd be the case. Looks like I'll be sowing the seeds next spring then! Accursed cash constraints limit me to what I can do. £19.99 a box! Unless turf would work out cheaper?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,892
              Sorry, I don't think turf will work out any cheaper. Could you not abandon the box you already have and buy a cheaper seed in bulk?

• LordAlwold

LordAlwold Gardener

Ratings:
              +23
              Sounds like a good plan. Where's the best site/place to seek out the cheaper seed?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,892
              It's a long time since I've bought any great amounts of seed, so wouldn't know who to suggest. If you put your question in the 'Lawns' forum somebody will help you, we do have a couple of lawn experts there. :)

• LordAlwold

LordAlwold Gardener

Ratings:
              +23
              :redface: :doh:Crikey, I'm a buffoon!! Read the box earlier and it actually states... cough!!.. '45 square metres' which unsurprisingly covered the garden no problem. Bit of a gun jump there. Trouble with me is I'm always expecting science when the answer's straightforward! It certainly pays to read things properly.....:smile:

• Like Like x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +53,892
                That's more like it! I had a feeling something wasn't quite right with the measurements. We'll look forward to seeing the first shoots in a couple of weeks then. Don't forget to keep it watered when it doesn't rain. :)

• Like Like x 1