Rootgrow Mycorrhizal Fungi - a question

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, Nov 26, 2023.

1. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,155
    It probably needs some MF, see second paragraph! :
    The Wonders of Comfrey: for the Garden and for you!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
      Ratings:
      +4,947
      We haven't and I actually don't know any commercial grower who has. Unlike the retail sector, commercial growers are using a commercial grade compost, which is already more expensive. There should be no need to add MRF as there will be adequate nutrients in the compost for the crops/plants they are growing. We have never used MRF or the likes of Bonemeal or Blood, Fish & Bone.

I was actually talking to a representative from ICL about what fertiliser and rates they were using on peat reduced and peat free compost where there is a 30-50% of wood fibre in the mix. I was informed they were only incorporating a high nitrogen feed. I have purchased some as I have never used it before and it's called "Osmoform 38n" an NPK of 38-0-0 which releases nitrogen over 8-10 weeks.

He told me the rates to use on a number of different types of commercial grade composts but for an example, on their peat reduced pot bedding mix, they are adding 250g per cube, where as I have been using 500g Yara PG mix and 2kg Osmocote. If the results are on a par then going down the Osmoform route will be a cheaper option.

• Informative Informative x 3
        Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +22,571
        Given the partnership between MRF and the plant roots, I would expect that MRF would not survive well in potting compost without plants.

• Useful Useful x 1
        • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
          Ratings:
          +1,155
          Exactly this.
          Firstly, do we wish to get our seedlings 'hooked' on artificial fertilisers, or do we wish to grow them 'organically,' in the way Nature designed. As most plants that I grow are destined to be eaten by me , the choice is obvious, to me !
          How one best achieves this ,'from farm to fork' is the matter for discussion. The need to change modern practice, where peat based compost is withdrawn, has caused due consideration.
          Ideally, an adequate medium should be produced from home composting but there are yet to be resolved issues of sterility (to ensure both weed and pathogen free), nutritional supply (via soil organisms) as well as ease of use ,water retention and quantity of production.
          Current thinking is along the lines of:
          Maximise composting of wastes, duly supervised for temperature, maintenance of high levels of soil organic matter in beds, together with a consecutive planting to maintain live roots throughout the year.
          Production of seeding compost mixes which are sterile (sterilized?) with innoculation of soil organisms, either from 'rootgrow' preparations or from garden soil.(risk of pathogen transfer?) as first waterings after germination.
          Maybe sterile compost until potted on, then drenched in solution of MF preparation. Could a compost 'tea' be prepared to provide this ?

Perhaps a 'live vaccine ' , like a yoghurt, could be obtained for this purpose ?
          Interested in opinions, and reports of successes, with peat-free compost.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,075
          But doesn't it survive in the soil naturally?
          It even survives, so they tell us, in the packet.:biggrin:

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +22,571
          Yes, but soil is full of life, plants, fungi, bacteria etc.
          In the packet it is, immobilised on (I belief clay particles) and is probably present as spores rather than live mycelia.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +122,455
            I can't give any info on all this as we have been growing organically (hopefully chemical free but don't know what floats over from the fields) for over 50 years here in Shineyland. We start seeds off in peat compost and transfer to the garden as soon as possible. The soil has our own garden compost spread each year which sometimes gets well rotted donations from a friend's horses.

All our crops and plants do very well but don't know if they would do better if all the above things are added. We also don't do crop rotation :noidea:

Old fashioned but works for us. :) Whether it would work commercially is another matter.

• Like Like x 2
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
              Ratings:
              +4,947
              Your adding nutrients through your own made compost and manure, so no real need to add much fertiliser if any at all. When your planting a new hedge or plants in the garden it is advised to well water them in and give them a feed and many gardeners continue to feed their plants. When doing this there is no real need to use Mycorrhizal fungi, plus beech is not a heavy feeder anyways.

• Informative Informative x 3