Rosas Balcony 2009

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rosa, Apr 5, 2009.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi pip thanks ever so much, im the only one out of 12 flats in our blocks that has this display, my neighbours downstairs had a lovely display and they havnt bothered let all their climbers die off which was a shame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    my first ever white butterfly i have seen on my balcony.saw 2 yesterday but couldnt get pics till tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    bought this lovely camper chair when i was in keswick its so comfortable also took these other pics on my balcony.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    meet sammy straw and michael straw hehe just bought these today for my balcony and my new table and chairs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
  6. Will Ting

Will Ting Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what it is, but I love blue Petunias, love the Petunia smell as well. :wuvu:

7. telecom69

telecom69 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There is not much on that balcony you dont have :) it really is a credit to you,there is more on there than a lot of people have in there gardens ,you make the world a better place :thumb: ...dont suppose you need telling that engaging though that photo of the cabbage white butterfly is ,it has now laid its eggs on your Nasturtiums and pretty soon they will be eaten alive by the little pests called caterpillars :(

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    will ting the petunias are purple but they always come out blue from my camera dont know why.

telecom thanks for the lovely comments, hehe i never realized about them white butterflies till i was told so ive looked at my nasturcian leaves and removed the eggs and cut some leaves off, just everytime i go out there ive got honey bees at the flowers

9. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You have a colourful balcony garden, Rosa. I was so pleased to learn that you got rid of the butterfly eggs. As nice as butterflies of this type may seem, they can also destroy a garden's plants in no time at all. I haven't been able to find it, but what is the size of your balcony? I'm always amazed by the standard of such small gardens and yours is truly one of the best....

10. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Our Rosa has the balconys of balconys Ive yet to see a better one

, Ive had butterflies lay their eggs on my tubs and hanging baskets but I dont have the heart to kill them.

I just feel that our butterflies are dying out so am willing to give up a few plants for their benefit.

Not so for the slugs though, I hate them.
    But because I have had such a big brood (if that is the word) of sparrows that have had such a good breed and so late.

I stiill have sparrows feeding their babies even in August.

I used to put slug pelletd down to save the plants.
    Now Id rather look after the wild life and forgo my Ideal garden. Is this a sign of age.
    :hehe:

11. telecom69

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you about Rosa's balcony,its rather special :thmb: but in its confined space she can well do without caterpillars decimating her plants and thats what can, and does happen when butterflies lay eggs on Nasturtiums, I have it happen every year and will later post a photo of the destruction they cause when it happens once again to me :mad: its all a matter of priorities,if you want flowers you have to get rid of the pests,end of story :D I love all animals and wildlfe too, but slugs and caterpillars are pests of the highest degree in my eyes,along with aphids of course .....I very much doubt we will ever manage to eradicate their population,no matter how hard we try,its not an age thing as I too am :old:.....take care :)

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks strawman, takemore and telecom, ive been keeping an eye on my nasturcians got rid of any eggs so they seem fine i often remove nasturcian leaves so it solves a lot of the problems, can anyone tell me when nasturcian flowers die off and they seed, should i wait till seeds turn red then remove them or is it ok to remove the seed pods when they are green, i have got lots i removed and half of them are turning dark
    strawman i dont know exact size of my balcony would say in front were my flowers are probably 5x10 feet and i have another area built in a lot bigger its a seating area
    thanks for the lovely comments on my balcony

heres my cascade begonia

[​IMG]

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
  14. telecom69

Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya, just love your cascade Begonia,i have quite a few of them growing in bucket sized containers, they are called non-stop Begonias and have been a revelation this year, still producing masses of flowers ...on the subject of the Nasturtiums seeds,although it doesn't apply to me since mine grow in the garden and self seed every year, its best to let them ripen to guarantee success...although they will ripen themselves and turn dark brown and go wrinkly :D provided you dont pick them too early, its really best if you let them ripen on the plant :thmb: soak them overnight before sowing next year,it helps germination, Nasturiums if you don't know will not tolerate any frost at all,it kills them stone dead overnight ....

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks telecom, half of the pea like nasturcians are turning brown, ive got a lot on seeds on my nasturcians on my balcony so i will take your advice and leave them till they turn brown but why i took the others off i didnt want them fallen off as they would end up downstairs as most of them are hanging over my balcony to outside. i love my cascade begonias they are in a hanging basket such lovely colours,nice to get a bit of advice of what to do thanks ever so much