1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rose in pot

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Jack Sparrow, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one @Jack Sparrow beautiful rose though...when it comes then pop and get a pot... it holds off temptation :heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2018
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,594
      My own 'Super Trouper' @Jack Sparrow. It's a beautiful rose and perfumed. Floribunda's have multiple flowers on individual stems and if dead headed throughout the flowering season will continue into late autumn. All my roses were in the ground at my last house/garden so I'm not sure how well it will do in a pot. You must keep it fed and watered throughout the growing season for it to do well.
      Rose 'Super Trouper' (1).JPG

Rose 'Super Trouper' (2).JPG

Rose 'Super Trouper' (3).JPG

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,414
        The next thing to consider is the pot. I read a comprehensive article that suggested a 1m rose bush would grow happily in a 25l container. According to @wiseowl’s well drawn up chart, that equates to approx 40cm wide and high. I have see pots slightly bigger and slightly smaller. What realistically am I looking for?

I have just had an email to say my order has been dispatched. It’s unlikely but it might come tomorrow. If it does I would like to present it up on Sunday, on the right day.

G.

• Like Like x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,594
          The bigger the pot the better Jack. Roses need a good amount of space for their roots and to thrive. I would be inclined to use something like a half barrel or the equivalent of. It needn't be wood, there are some very good look-alikes available now. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            @Jack Sparrow I totally agree with @Sheal on this one, as I've brought pots for other rose trees I had in the past, there's been extra room while putting them in but my god with in no time at all they've out grown them :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
              +5,414
              I have just bought this:

Plastic Wood Effect Wine Barrel Pot (H)368mm (Dia)520mm | Departments | DIY at B&Q

It says I can collect it tomorrow. It also says my store doesn’t stock it. We will have to see how long it actually takes to come in.

I went down and had a recky at mum’s place today. I have no idea where I’m going to put this plant. The place is full already. I’m going to have to move the rest of her pots, ornaments, chairs etc out of the way.

In hindsight it doesn’t seem such a good idea.

:scratch:

G.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Those pots look ok @Jack Sparrow as I need to get something bigger for my conifer in the garden as that's out growing another pot :dunno:

Give the store a bell tomorrow and you'll soon know then mate :)

Your moms place might be full already and it seems that's how she likes it...I wouldn't worry to much she'll find a place, as the thought goes deeper than the place :dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,594
                  Personally I'd go for something with straight sides/wider bottom Jack. With the eventual height and weight of the rose it may well topple over in windy conditions.

• Informative Informative x 1
                  • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,686
                    @Sheal - Breathtakingly beautiful photos of your floribunda. I can practically smell it from the iPad!

• Like Like x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
                      +5,414
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        The bigger the better, Jack:dunno: Advice from RHS............

"Introduction

Only a few roses are tolerant of being grown in containers, as roses generally have long shallow roots for anchoring the plant and searching out moisture and nutrients. As long as deep containers are chosen, a good show of blooms should be achieved.

The best roses for growing in containers are the patio and miniature types, which can be grown in fairly small but deep pots 23-35cm (9-14in) deep. You could also try growing less vigorous, more compact ground cover and climbing roses, but use larger containers with a minimum depth of 30-45cm (12-18in).

Practical considerations

Container cultivation
                        The best compost to use is a loam-based John Innes No 3 to which 10 to 20 percent multi-purpose compost or very well-rotted manure may be added for richness. Position the container before filling with compost as it may be too heavy to move once planted up.

Roses love sunshine and should receive sun for at least half the day. However it is important that container-grown plants do not dry out or they will become prone to powdery mildew. If possible position the container so that it is shaded for part of the day, leaving the plant itself in full sun.

Ideally pot up plants in November using bare-root plants, but container-grown plants will do as well, and can be potted up any time between October and April.

Aftercare
                        • Drainage: Keep the pots raised on feet and add a drainage layer of gravel at the bottom to ensure good winter drainage
                        • Feeding: Roses use up food reserves quickly and grow better if top-dressed each spring with a granular rose fertiliser. Additional feeding may be required as per the manufacturer's recommendations. Avoid feeding after August as soft growth may be damaged by cold winters
                        • Mulching: Mulch with a 5cm (2in) top-dressing of well-rotted garden compost or manure to help retain moisture and enrich the compost
                        • Top-dressing: Every second year, remove the top 5cm (2in) of compost and replace with a fresh layer"

• Like Like x 1
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +52,594
                          • Like Like x 2
                          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +52,594
                            Thank you Irmemac. :)

• Like Like x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
                              +5,414
                              My rose arrived today. At least I'm assuming that's what it is. I didn't get a chance to open the box before I went out.

So I have the Rose. I have the pot. I have 2x30l of John innes No 3 compost. I already have bonemeal, bark chipping mulch and broken tiles for drainage. I" m all ready to start construction.

All in all its turning out to be a bigger task than I had originally anticipated. Whether it was a good idea or not, I intend to treat at as an experiment. At the end of the day it's all a learning curve.

Do I need to mix in any kind of slow release fertiliser at this stage?

Is it possible to underplnt with spring bulbs?

Watch this space.

:snorky:

G

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                              • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                                +17,487
                                Sounds good to me ......there will be sufficient feed in john innes 3. Excellent choice of compost. Tickle in fish blood and bone in early summer, June time.
                                No need to go mad with drainage volume...just enough to cover drainage holes is fine.
                                I guess you want bulbs to flower now and into summer but I would add snowdrops in the green, a couple of hyacinths (for scent and colour now and soon) and or dwarf daffs, tete a tete would be good. Dwarf iris too. Or, check out blue anemone blanda; lovely little blue flowers no more than 10 to 15 cm tall on nice ferny foliage
                                Nice topping of bark chips too :)
                                Seems to me you are managing this very well so relax.

• Like Like x 2
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1