1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Runner Bean Advice

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Spacemunkey, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Gardener

Steel worker
    Ratings:
    +270
    Good afternoon everyone, I have had an attempt at growing runner beans this year and I've grown very healthy looking plants my question is, the plants are now taller than the growing frame and are still growing so I cut the top shoots off to stop them growing upwards??

• Like Like x 1
    • Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Gardener

Steel worker
      Ratings:
      +270
      IMG_0054.JPG Here is a picture of my plants

• Like Like x 2
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Just pinch the tips spacemonkey. It doesnt necessarily stop them growing but it does encourage lower branching and fruiting.
        Enjoy your beans :)

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Healthy looking plants you have there :thumbsup:

Mine have over grown their growing space, so I have nipped the tips.

• Like Like x 2
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,527
            Yes, nip out the growing tips that are getting too high. More will form, all the way up the plants and they will continue to climb skywards, producing flowering stems on the way.

As the new shoots will grow quite quickly you will need to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't droop down to the ground. If they start drooping then encourage them to climb by winding them around the canes. Make sure that you wind them in the same direction as the ones that have grown up the canes themselves. handle them with care so that you don't break the stems.

I grow mine differently and don't need to nip out the tips, but you need a lot more space for that. Some of my plants are 14ft long already and I train them overhead similar to the way they train vines. As it's dark out now :) I've grabbed some old photos of how I grow mine.

P1210246.JPG

P1210243.JPG

P1210337.JPG

• Like Like x 4
            • Verdun

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Great way of growing runners Shiney......something I will copy but next year now

• Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Gardener

Steel worker
              Ratings:
              +270
              Thank you for the advice I shall pinch the tips out tomorrow :ThankYou:

• shiney

Ratings:
              +118,527
              @Verdun
              Here's a link to something I posted about the ShineyFrames :heehee:

I've Bean Meaning To Start This Year's Thread

I grow the beans through porous weed suppressant plastic so I never have to do much weeding. In the winter I roll back the plastic, remove an occasional perennial weed, dig in fresh compost and roll it back. The soil also warms up quicker early in the year and the plastic helps stop evaporation. The other advantage is picking during wet weather as you're not walking through mud. :blue thumb:

I don't rotate crops as I dig in plenty of compost (compost heap mixed with horse manure and ash from the bonfire) and have had no trouble in the 45 years I've been here.

I grow a lot of beans and sell them for charity.
              P1230552.JPG

you'll see that the posts are in line with the centre of the bean rows and also between the rows and outside the rows. Strong plastic coated wire is permanently in place between the posts and around the outside of the posts (forming a rectangle around the outside and lines of it between the posts). I then run plastic string from the sides, across and around the bean canes right to the other side. Then run more string in rows at right angles to it. This forms a cats cradle effect over the top.
              P1230544.JPG

The beans not only grow over the top and between the rows but extend outside - at the ends.
              P1230553.JPG

At this time of the year I spent about 15-20 minutes each day making sure the runners are climbing properly (wind them in if they aren't) and bring the ones that are trying to grow to the sky down to the cats cradle and wind those in.

• Like Like x 3
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                Thanks Shiney. I am sure I can tweek my own system to create that canopy too.
                Always learning arent we? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,527
                  Some time back I did a controlled experiment on the system. One section was nipped out at the top of the canes and the other was left to grow. The ones left to grow had a 40% greater crop. The difference was greater than I would have thought but then I had a closer look. On both sections there was very little successful bean production on the bottom 3ft (flowers dropped off before setting, probably because of being earlier in the season). So the nipped out ones only had 4ft+ highly productive crop whereas the others had 9ft.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Useful Useful x 1
                  • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +46,193
                    @Verdun another alternative is this open frame I've used for a few years now, it is suitable for a smaller garden like mine since I can cram another crop underneath. I grow salad leaves under such as lettuce and spinach. Mine also provide much needed shade for my greenhouse at this time of year. The open side needs to face due south for this frame design to work. Following photos are from previous years, I've made it taller and longer since the first photo:
                    IMG_2204.jpg

Munty bean frame 3.JPG

20140728-P7280089.jpg

• Like Like x 5
                    • Verdun

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      Yes, I will use the ideas from you and Shiney JWK ....thanks :)

• Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +9,233
                        Ooh! @JWK !
                        Now you are giving me some serious ideas for next year! I have two raised veg beds parallel to each other. Well, to be precise, one raised, and one sunken, as I haven't built the sides yet, and the horse manure has dropped about 8" below the "soil" level. I dread to think exactly how big those courgette plants are! There's also an even newer bed below the "new" one...

So, I could build a permanent frame with uprights on the upper and lower edges of the beds, and then grow the beans up and over, as a covered walkway. It would also give a little wind shelter behind for other veg...
                        IMG_3276.JPG
                        I am probably facing due north in this first photo, and you can see a little of the slope involved - quite gentle at the top of the garden, but it is the end of the wind-tunnel that IS the garden...
                        So, I'd want to plant the beans in the higher bed, and grow across "down" the garden, to the left?

IMG_3274.JPG
                        This shot shows the gaps between - probably 1.00 -1.20m? (You can also see my meagre offering of runner beans - I have to improve the soil in the top bed, but that is all in hand). Currently we are using hazel whips, some of which are double, or V shaped, but we have plenty of scrap wood... In fact, seeing as I have two raised beds to make, for the two new beds (left and centre), I could use the bean uprights as part of the raised framework.

Plan! Result!!

• Like Like x 2