Runner Bean Nightmare

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by jazzythumper, May 21, 2010.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    28? That's small fry! I have been down my garden in the evening and collected 5lbs! of the blighters! No idea how many are in 5lbs but it was a lot! Half a carrier bag full. And lacking the hard-heartedness to kill them, I walked for about 20 minuted across the neighbouring heathland and emptied them all out in a shrub!

They do say, though, that a snail's homing instincts are more finely tuned than a homing pigeon and will eventually return to their origins! I believe someone even went to the trouble of painting numbers on the shells of snails he gathered up and sent miles away! It took a while but they did return. [​IMG]

2. jazzythumper

jazzythumper Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    back to the runner beans????

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Jazzy, I would not worry about the root damage when you first planted them, they will soon grow some more after you untangled them - it's difficult to do without damaging some of them.

As regards watering, it's possible you might be giving them too much, which will also cause them to wilt. It all depends on the weather conditions, size of plant and if they are in full sun etc etc. You only want to water when they need it. Have a feel of the compost, if it's wet and soggy then don't water any more. I assume you have some drainage holes in the bottom of those blue containers? (If you use grow-bags you have to make your own holes in the bottom).

I think 1/2 pint a day per plant is too much on normal days, after all you have them outside and so some rain will find its way in as well. I never go by a set amount of water per day, just judge the dryness of the compost - it's a difficult thing to explain and comes with experience.

4. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    I think, faced with a slug-pub, my snails would do what any self respecting Medway resident would do - ie, drink the pub dry, destroy everything in sight and then slope away into the bushes to sleep it off.

5. jazzythumper

jazzythumper Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The beans are starting to look better, now the beans that got eaten are starting to form new shoots, so hopefully these will grow into new climbing shoots.

The only thing is they get a lot of morning sun, and when this happens they appear to be wilting, each time I have given them some water and they spring back into life a few hours later.

They have a lot of slug pellets on them, and that combined with being on a balcony has thwarted the slugs and snails for now!

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    If they wilt then recover then maybe you should not worry - it has been exceptionally hot.