runner beans

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by nobbyhigo2, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    In 2006 when we had that hot summer and drought (remember that) I grew runner Red Rum. Everybody I knew including, those on gardening shows, said that it was a very poor season for runners. With the Red Rum I had the best crop ever as they seem to perform better than most under those conditions.
    As it looks like we will get another hot summer again, I would definitely recommend this variety, tasty too!

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "As it looks like we will get another hot summer again"

Thanks heavens for that ... but I'm curious how you know? :)

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    :gnthb: Thanks for the link back to that thread shiney, its very informative. Looks like you planted out your Polestar into the garden in Late April - but when do you sow the first early batch in the greenhouse - I'm guessing mid March?

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I don't fully understand the phenomenon, but it's all to do with El Nino apparently, which means high pressure domminates in Northern Europe bringing cold, drier winter and hot drier summer. I know that we are experiencing a series of low pressure systems at the moment, but the overall trend is for more high pressure.

When we had that unusually cold spell in December a friend of mine was in Andalucia picking olives, it was so wet and muddy they had real problems gathering them.

These events normally last 12 months so hopefully a better summer in the offing.

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Yes, John. I didn't record the date but it must have been around mid March.