1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sad Little Corner

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Irmemac, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hey! But of course. How could I overlook a water feature? Got so carried away with the plants but Tetters is spot on. Could be a self contained fountain or a trickle from a galvanised watering can but the sound of water on a hot summer's day is wonderful Irmemac.:)
    I am in the process myself of planning a water feature for my nephew's small garden.....prob a sheet of water flowing down a prepared wall :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      Yes, Verdun, I would love a water feature! Tetters, yours is amazing, what a stunning display, and achieved so quickly too. Lovely!

• Like Like x 1
      • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,686
        Bee Happy, can you recommend any plants which bees love, which butterflies don't? I am very ashamed to admit it, but I am scared of butterflies.
        :nervous:

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          I empathise Irmemac. I was once attacked by a Red Admiral and it was very scary :gaah:
          Bees love agastaches......the "humming bird" plant. Try Black Adder. Heleniums too have been a favourite for bees :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
            Ratings:
            +5,404
            [​IMG]You must have been terrified Verdun

• Funny Funny x 2
            • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
              Ratings:
              +6,133
              @Irmemac Foxgloves, Snapdragons,Hollyhocks, Penstemons, Salvias, Borage, Hardy Geraniums, Selfheal, Ajuga,Lavender well any plant that Bees have to enter or hang on or under as Butterflies tend to prefer a flatter plate type surface - on saying that they do love Valerian :scratch: but as a rule anything that has a landing platform if that makes sense - also if it's to plant up in your new sitting area with it being mostly shaded, be aware that Butterflies prefer a sunnier spot, even in my own sitting area although packed with nectar loaded plants once they end up with any shade on them they head for the pots in the sunnier spot further over the sitting area -and the most frequently visited by Bees in my garden is none other than a common weed which most people dig or hoe out with a vengeance - but it's free and never attacked by slugs or any other pests and is so packed with nectar in its tiny blooms to a degree that all other plants are ignored -so i can only gather it must have the most sweetest tasting nectar and it's the original for want of a better word Hardy Geranium THE humble Herb Robert :) geranium-robertianum1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1
                Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
              • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,686
                Thank you, Bee, that makes perfect sense and I've never even noticed the difference before. I will keep that list. There is little as pleasant as bees humming round the garden. I have a hollyhock and 3 offshoots, which I am trying to bring on, but they were so badly mauled by slugs this year that I had no flowers. :mad: I keep a few lavenders, and I have a pot of yellow loosestrife which bees love. I will have to get Herb Robert! It is really pretty and if it's a favourite of bees, then that's all the better!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +6,133
                  @Irmemac your most :sign0016:
                  Agree with the loving the hum of the Bees in the garden ....as my signature says it's the music of the garden b104.gif
                  Oh such a shame about your Hollyhocks :frown: - got about approx 50 plus germinated some already in and others waiting to go in once I've cleared the annual beds- I've also got the same number of Aquilegia, oh to be around the corner you would be welcome to some - nothing nicer than sharing plants :spinning: Ooo yes Loosestrife is another favored plant and nice and early too, so essential for early emerging Buzzy's, as are Hellebores, Lungwort and Aquilegia all will thrive in a shadier spot so great for consideration for your new spot :smile: LOL don't go buying Herb Robert obviously!!! - if you see it just collect a few spent seeds and it will get away very easily - too easy for some ;) that's why folk complain but i see no reason in arguing with me garden it's not a battleground :wallbanging: it's to be enjoyed- Nature will always have the last word anyway - and if you've got a noggin of sense you'll bow down to Mother Natures superiority :love30: plus its soooo easy to remove if it gets a bit keen - just like Forgetmenots -another of me favorite early flowering plants, see you got me going again... somebody take the battery out :snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,686
                    I absolutely LOVE your posts! :hapydancsmil:

Thanks again for all your advice, and your amazing knowledge of bee friendly flowers. I get the feeling you love the names of them all! Can I ask how you know so much about bees?

• BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +6,133
                    @Irmemac Awww bless you :wub2:Don't really consider myself that knowledgeable just passionate to learn about caring and providing for them - do feel a great responsibility to keep my garden filled with as many nectar rich plants for as long as i can - as i always say it's just like us going to our garden allotment, looking forward to a wonderful nourishing meal and finding someones concreted all over it , so no food for us :frown: that's how i feel when i see needless and frankly senseless removal of wildflowers, particularly along road side verges. So if i can help by replicating those Verge's and by working with not against Mother Nature, by observing what plants the pollinators visit and prefer over... most..... that are provided and grown which frankly are as much use for nourishment as plastic fruit :th scifD36: So just be guided by what you see - the ole "take the time to stand and stare" - that's the humble philosophy i garden by :spinning:

• Like Like x 4
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
                    • Verdun

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      You just need to beelieve :snorky:

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,686
                      IMG_2471.PNG

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                        Ratings:
                        +6,899
                        Wonderful thread and lots of wonderful ideas :). Irmemac you are going to be very busy :snorky:

@BeeHappy I had a look at your pics. Lovely :). Especially the Fucshias :wub2:. I love them so much and the ones I have are very popular with the Bees. I have even been thinking about dedicating the patio to the Fuchsias and moving the other plants elsewhere as sit there more than other places in the garden. The Fuchsias and the Scabious are the most popular with the Bees and I find it quite fascinating to watch them buzzing about feeding :)

• luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                        Ratings:
                        +6,899
                        The Helenium I bought a few weeks ago has been boycotted by the Bees and Butterflies :rolleyespink: :scratch:. I moved the pot to 3 different locations but zero interest.

• Verdun

Ratings:
                        +17,487
                        Maybe the combinations help luciusmaximus :)
                        I have lots of heleniums mixed with agastaches, salvias and others and all are attractive to bees here.
                        Do you deadhead your heleniums? If not flowers will be less; bees will be less. Also, and primarily, you said you bought it 3 weeks ago...not sure you can expect many bees as soon as planted.:noidea:
                        I will try to post a picture later if rain clears
                        Next year you will have lots of bees on your helenium or I will give you a refund :rasp: