sail shades

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by madflower, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Hi, madflower, I think a couple of us are on different tracks .. not surprisingly, ha, ha! :eek:

I'm talking about bamboo "overhead" as a roof, think my "colleagues" are talking about bamboo plants! I'm very much an "instant" person .. need shade now ... CHEAP ... cover your head! Plan for future years, if you have space, with all this lush greenery in pots. But, if the need is NOW ... go for sails or bamboo roofs!

There, I've said my piece! [​IMG]

2. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HA lofL 'PLAN FOR THE FUTURE YEARS IF YOU HAVE SPACE'I say go for bamboo roofs very oriental ha, [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
  4. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LofL I just had a look its a great idea and it look cool much better than those plastic canopies. :cool: :cool:

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    We think so, too, Fancy. Has a nice "cool" feel to it as well even if it's still hot. It's a cheap alternative .... and I'm all for CHEAP! ... in certain areas! [​IMG]

6. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi LofL
    If you want some freestanding shade and have enough space, ie: 28ft dia circle.
    I doubt you`ll find anything cheaper,bigger or stronger than this:

http://www.bweebweebwee.com/tensegrity/

If you fit netting to it.. instead of a canopy you could have the worlds largest fruit cage ;)

7. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    NOOO I like LOFL canopy the best, you can grow climbers on lofl canopy [​IMG] :cool: :cool:

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Interesting, Hex, but I like the rustic look. I'm not the one looking for the shade, madflower is. I've got my sails and cane canopies already and from what I gather, madflower wouldn't have room for such a structure! Thank you, however.

Yes, Fancy, I think you can see from the picture that we have the two legs in concrete planters with Pelargoniums trailing and I'm trying to get varigated Morning Glory climbing up the poples which we've wrapped in sisal but a bit unsuccessfully! :( We have a Pandorea/Podranea in a rectangle concrete pot to the side of it and it's clambering over the top now ... lightly scented clusters of pale pink flowers with a wine-coloured throat ... it's evergreen as well! [​IMG]

9. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    lovely LOFL I love rustic structures and climbers [​IMG]

10. ArchGardener

ArchGardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I found the sails too expensive - so i brought wide curtain lineing material and used that - both as sails and canopy on top of pergola - worked a treat!

11. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    its a good idea ARCHY. sails are very expensive to say the least,you can always remove it in the winter. the rustic canopy can be left out all weathers though. [​IMG]