Salix "Kilmarnock"

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Fof, Mar 22, 2024.

1. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,497
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Admittedly, my Irish yews grow at about 4 to 6ins a year, the thing is people always seem to want plants that grow fast but dont get big,:biggrin:, which in most cases is not an easy one to answer.
    The best part about yew is its not bothered by being cut back when it reaches the size you want it.

3. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,497
    It's the big advantage of them @pete :smile:

The golden one is nice too. Useful for some evergreen height.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fof

Fof Gardener

Ratings:
      +219
      As I said, the garden is evolving. I only bought the property in '21 and the garden had had virtually nothing done to it apart from cutting the grass (NOT lawn).
      I set to to bring some life to it and very quickly discovered that the ground was still full of the original builders' waste from the '70s/'80s.

As you say, @fairygirl, they have to be pruned by removing over long growths right at the top. Continually trimming part way would end up a mess.
      Yes it will get wider but it has a bit of room at the moment. Later? Who knows!

• Like Like x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,497
        Ah - the builders' waste @Fof...
        It's always difficult isn't it? I've had to tackle a few gardens like that, and there's no real short cut. It depends on so many things as to how you approach it too. Budgets can easily get out of hand :)
        I'm sure if you put a couple of photos on, others will offer ideas for alternatives too if/when it comes to that.:smile:

Grass - yes , that's what I have as well. I don't need a bowling green ;)