Seed advice!!!

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Julie D, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Julie D

Julie D Gardener

Ratings:
    +189
    Jack, I am one of these gardeners who enjoy growing from seed but I am still a novice with rhubarb. It will take a couple of years before I know its a success. If it is a success then I will have the plants to sell on and supplement my carers allowance. Can no longer rely on my computer business to bring an income especially from march to oct. The plan was to do gardening jobs then but last years weather has made me think twice about that.

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    if Julie joins seed swap now, it will be 3 months possibly before it gets to her, I do check to see if names I do not see regularily are active and contributing.:nonofinger:

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Rhubarb plants from seed (probably "Victoria" variety) will mostly be inferior to a vegetatively produced plants. So, for yourself, you'd be better to beg an offset from someone who has a really good-tasting plant.

They do grow easily from seed, if you want plants to sell though.

If you are growing for sale, i.e. a decent number of plants, you might want to look at Moles Seeds. They sell in bulk (from medium-amateur up to farmer), and their postage is free (except on some Beans and large seeds), so if you want several hundred seeds you will probably find they are the cheapest. You might be able to club together with neighbours to buy a bulk pack of some things - Sweetcorn springs to mind.

Worth looking out for seeds in the Autumn sales if you are on a budget; that's when garden centres sell of last-years'-seeds. Most vegetable seed will store for several years, just beware of the few that doesn't store well - such as Parsnips.

4. Julie D

Julie D Gardener

Ratings:
    +189
    Thanks again everyone for their feedback, advice and for making feel at home.

I should mention I have heard the stories about growing rhubarb from seed but like to learn from my own e perience. Last year I grew 4 varieties from seed but didnt sow until mid summer. The plants grew very well and are shooting now. Ill keep you all informed on my experience. I have got 15 crowns I adopted and bought.