Seed germination on damp paper

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by PeterS, Oct 8, 2006.

1. oldwinegum

oldwinegum Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    This prossess is intrigueing. It has attraction for Tomato and pepper seeds. If, as these seeds are bigger than some flower seeds could they be deliberatly transfered to the potting compost with the paper still attatched, even if it were newly slightly wetted.
    Were can I get more info as I love the energy saving potential during germination. However I suspect that the resulting number of plants might require both parafin greenhouse heaters to run for England.
    ttfn and a Happy New Year to all my readers!!

2. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Don't know about the above. Tomatoes always seem to germinate like weeds anyway so have never bothered. I used to use the technique on runner beans, climbing French beans, marrows, courgettes, cucumbers, sweet corn. This was mainly to cut down on the amount of wasted compost. Some would be going into individual pots so i only wanted germinated seeds. In the case of sweet corn they went into soil blocks. Will be resurrecting the techniques soon cause i think I may be getting some land to grow veg on. Found my old soil block making machine in the garage and my cultivator has started...after a gap of 10 years....Honda make sweet engines. I wish my lawnmower was as good.

3. oldwinegum

oldwinegum Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    A question for you Geoff, or others.
    Block Making. I have just made a peat block maker (simple version) out of a piece of tube, internal dia. 1" and use penny washers at each end with a largish G clamp for compression.
    Before I try for Mark 2 it would be usefull if I fully understood how to make use of them.
    So here goes.
    Are they purly peat or is there a recomended mix.
    Why dont they fall to bits when you water them.
    What is there advantage over (say) egg boxes which can be cut up with the plant in situe and planted together, thus no disturbance.
    How would young seedlings anchor themselves with such a dense material.
    I am sure that I have missed the plot somewhere.
    ttfn

4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    No you do not use just peat. I used and will use peat with a Chempak potting mix mixed, that you can buy in a box from a good garden centre. Normally when using the Chempak mix I use a mixture of peat and grit or peat and perlite but for soil blocks its just peat and the powder mix. The compost needs to be fairly damp and a bit of washing up liquid tends to help the block stick together. I stand the blocks on a tray with a thin layer of peat underneath. When transferring the seeds you have to be careful you don't break up the block. Mine are made with an indentatio9n in the top so i can drop in a seed and drop a bit of compost on top to cover. never had a problem with the roots penetrating.
    Advantage - i would reckon there is more compost than using an egg box and there is certainly no obstacle to the roots moving out into soil once transplanted. I think I used to use soil blocks when I grew exhibition onions.
    You do have to be careful with watering. Use a watering can and they will fall apart. I used a long spouted can so the water just dribbled on rather then fell from a height.

5. oldwinegum

oldwinegum Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for that. I will now leep off with the zeel of the newly converted.
    Is the 'one at a time with G clamp' an approved method and would mark 2 just be re-inventing the wheel?
    ttfn

6. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Don't know about that. Mine is an old plastic one that you just push down using hand pressure. Its open at the botton, so I just stuff it full of the peat mix, stick it down on a flat tray, sqidge down so lots of water runs out, lift and one nice square block. Can't make my mind up whether I should use it for the onions or not. I am not into growing monster onions anymore so may not bother. The last time I used it to grow big onions I had a super crop and they were grown organically - i think I was trying to prove that you could grow big veg without stuffing the soil full of chemicals and pesticides....and it worked. Trouble was some thieving toe rag climbed over the gate while i was on holiday and nicked a year's crop of onions, carrots and 3/4 the potatoes. I think the law should be changed...anyone caught nicking garden produce should be ritually disembowelled using a pair of rusty shears.

7. oldwinegum

oldwinegum Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think you are right and with the current government you only need ten like minded people to stand outside number 10 and Tony will change the law. Lets go for it.
    Re the peat block maker! It just goes to show. After I earned a living 'inventing things' you have proved that all I have ever done realy is to over engineer it. Thanks for the help
    ttfn

8. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well i just used a cheapo plastic one I picked up and it still looks OK afrer 20 years or so. The mad keen showmen used to get these stainless steel ones, the sort of people who had to have the best. looked down their noses at the likes of me.
    You could sell them as the BMWs of block makers! I used to use mine for zinnias - another plant that hates root disturbance. Wonder why you never hear that much of them nowadays.

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Most interesting discussion, chaps! Given me loads of thought for this years growings.

Vis a vis the germinating on damp paper - that took me back to my early school days (circa 1948!!) when teacher would line the inside of a jamjar with blotting paper, push peas betwixed paper and glass and keep about �½" of water in the jar, all so we could watch the process of germination. Neat!

Thanks for the memory!

10. oldwinegum

oldwinegum Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Now what have you gone and done!!! That has started this discussion off all over again I will wager.
    ttfn

11. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yep our teacher used cress...or would it be rape seed? I can still smell the germinating seed....I will have to get some seed. Always like a nice bit of fresh cress.

12. oldwinegum

oldwinegum Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Have just compleated my first attempt with Basil.
    Placed a few seeds on a piece of folded good quality kitchen (This allows you to peel one layer back without it breaking up) onto a small plastic tray in a polybag. The seeds germinated in an airing cuboard in 36Hrs with 100% sucsess. Have transfered the seeds onto Focus (blue bag) multy compost and placed in a window propergator with a silver foil backing to provide more even light. Watch this space!!
    ttfn

13. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Interesting thread!
    I use the paper method quite a lot, mostly where a cool spell is required. I tear off two sheets, fold together, fold in half and then turn 90° and fold in half again. Soak, squeeze and the open one fold and place the seeds in. The paper retains its integrity for longer.

I'm intrigued by the foot powder though - is anyone still using it?

14. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    You have been trawling again Keith. :biggrin:

I haven't used this method this year, but last year I used it a lot. I sowed all manner of old seeds and less important items that didn't warrant a space in my light box. The great advantage being the small space that 30 bags of seed took up.

I do a slightly similar thing with Lupins that I grow each year as a biennial. I prick the seeds then leave them to soak in a saucer of water. Once the seeds have germinated I plant them in individual pots. I don't even use paper or a bag.

15. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,264
    • Like Like x 1