Seeds I have sown today

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Webmaster, Mar 12, 2006.

1. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, lots of my seeds were freebies from AG!!!! But the seedlings are soooooo tiny at the moment!! I've bought some more pouches too!!!! Ã?£1.65 from Asda - bargain!!!!! [​IMG]

Let the flower pouch comp begin!!!!!! :D :D [​IMG]

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    My Mandevillia, young cabbage plants and all of my lettuce seedlings have been eaten by a dxxx mouse! :mad: I have set traps for the little blighters!

3. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Blackthorn, I am sure the dormouse was extremely grateful that you provided him with those seedling [​IMG]

And did you know:

Dormouse GuidelineLegislation.
    The common dormouse is protected under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act
    1981 (as amended). The Act makes it illegal to:
    � Damage, destroy or obstruct access to any structure or place common dormice use for
    shelter or protection.
    � Disturb common dormice whilst they are using such a place
    � Kill injure or take common dormice

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Don't think we want to!

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Fortunately, I don't think it was a dormouse Blackthorn meant....... :rolleyes: :D

6. Kaytutt

Kaytutt Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking for the trailing type Nepeta that looks good in hanging baskets. I've bought a couple of plug plants but I've got about 18 baskets/flower pouches so could do with some more. Maybe I'll try taking cuttings

Thanks for the help all

7. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Ooooops! Sorry! I realise that now dendrobium - still I'm sure any little mouse was pleased to eat the lovely seedlings - even if Blackthorn was not amused. :D

[​IMG]

8. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    [​IMG] Kaytutt..Nepeta Verigata is the one I use for hanging baskets,it's only foliage ,but it looks good and once you have it you can divide it year after year.Sugest buying some small plants from garden centre now and dividing them .

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Jjordie, you have the loveliest little smileys!! I love that sad little mouse! :D

Kaytutt- you should see Roders' hanging baskets - WOW!!!! How about putting up a photo of them again, R?

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    So what colour mouse was it Blacktorn, ..sorry kind of mouse was it blackthorn.
    I've got one taken up residence in my greenhouse, and apart from digging a massive hole, its not caused any damage yet.

11. Kaytutt

Kaytutt Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen Roders hanging baskets and I'm green with envy but thats my aim for this year, to have baskets like Roders :D

When you say you can divide your nepeta each year, I thought they were Annuals?

What other plants do you use for your baskets? I did a lot with petunia's and lobelia last year but wanted to try something different this year

12. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    We have a lot of mice this year ........ Mainly because the neighbour has 3 hanging bird feeders right outside their upstairs bedroom window. So lazy, they can't put them down the garden away from the house !!

All that keeps happening, is all the seeds etc fall to the ground, under a conifer, and attract the mice ......... The cat keeps bringing us 'presents' , or at least half [​IMG] .

Unfortunately, I think I will have to set a few traps, as they are so numerous ...... The odd mouse I don't mind, but it has got silly .

13. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry if i've upset the Mouse Protection Society, I wouldn't mind the odd seedling being beheaded but all of them? You may be pleased to know that it is the variety Clever Mouse as this morning the bread was gone from the traps and no dead mouse! :rolleyes:

14. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Not the Mouse Protection Society Blackthorn - just little creatures in general I care about - although I do understand mice can be a real problem and have to be dealt with before they do any more damage and I also realise the only way to do this is dispose of them!
    [​IMG]

15. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    How about the Lotus Fire vine, or the Lofos Burgundy Falls...... I got these particular ones from Suttons last year as plug plants, and several of them are doing fine overwinter in my greenhouse (just on frost-free), so they seem a good idea.

http://www.suttons.co.uk/pd_252651_Lotus_Fire_Vine_5.htm

http://www.suttons.co.uk/pd_255061_Lofos_Burgundy_Falls_5.htm