Seeds I have sown today

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Webmaster, Mar 12, 2006.

1. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    It was the exotics that appealed to me then and still do. Fortunately I can grow some at work, I can always find space for them. Happy memories, as you say [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I used to work in a place where things had got so negelcted that, despite being a major garden that charged entrance fees, the greenhouses had gone to pot - and none of them, nor the polytunnel got used for anything other than storing ladders! They did absolutely no propagation there at all! No wonder finances were up the creek!! And they didn't even have a compost heap!! I can't believe any garden can be run like that! Any commments, people? ;) It's so nice to hear S talking about what he does - would be nice to hear others - maybe a new forum "Wot I dun at work today"??

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    Perhaps I should have confined it to a single topic instead of rambling on here there and everywhere. My Wonderful Carrer(Or not) would be a suitable title. [​IMG]

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I wasn't being sarcastic, S - I do like it! And we get a bit from Paladin, complete with pics! I really wasn't having a go! :D

5. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    :D Glad to hear it :D
    Good idea S ;)

6. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I am not good with seeds but in anticipation I have planted some lupins, ecinacea, verbascum. it was only last week and already I am sure I can see a baby lupin poking though. Its usually at the pricking out stage i kill them all!

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    One of the reasons for seedlings dying off when pricking out/transplanting is doing it too soon. Be patient, let them gain some strength to withstand the move. [​IMG]

8. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    on 17th feb i started with lobelia, lavender,apple blossom,cucumber,2 kinds of tomatoes,cabbage,verbena,sprouts and some kind of low growing yellow perenial in my little shed.its small but has 2 windows and with a heater the temp was around 68.i thought id leave them in there as the heater isnt powerfull enough for green house. i waited and waited.not a dickie bird.on thursday i dragged some shelving up to spare bed room and halelulya!sprouts and cabbage through.verbena, apple blossom and labelia.allas only 4 tomatoes from 12.and no sign of lavender cucumber or yellow perenial.

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Well its still cold but going on the asumption that its got to warm up soon, I 've decided to fire up the old propagator and make a start.
    Today I sowed 'snow on the mountain' and pink and red ruellia both seed sent to me by Fran.
    Also I sowed some more 'aeonium canariensis', sowed some earlier but only have one minute seedling.
    'Abronia wootonii', 'albizzia kalkora' and 'exacum affine', a great little pot plant that flowers in late summer autumn.
    All bought from Chiltern Seeds, I usually get a packet of what they call 'lottery mixture' they come in various types, I have the greenhouse mix.
    You dont know what they are in the mix, but you can spend time trying to ID them. All are usually interesting, thats how I found out about the exacum a few years ago.

10. petal

petal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was running out of staging space in my greenhouse so I bought a four tier mini greenhouse (�£19.99) from a local garden centre and used the shelving for additional staging in my greenhouse. I chucked the plastic cover, (well its still in the box but I can't think of a use for it as yet!) and just used the frame and shelves. It was much cheaper than staging and does the job just as well.

11. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    What a good idea - I must check out the height of mine. [​IMG]

12. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i think you can convert cover in to some sort of cloche, but if you put it in complete it would act as a propogating frame

13. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    Pete2255 You must have some height in yor greenhouse for Albizia Kolkora, it grows taller than Julibrissin or are you going to chance it outside when big enough?. Have you seen mature A Julibrissin in full flower? it's spectacular. [​IMG]

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    strongylodon, Its gonna have to go outside, its new to me and as with alot of things I try, a bit of an experiment. Chilterns have it down as hardy in all but the coldest parts of the UK.
    Up until about five years ago I had quite a largeish flowering julibrissin, it was about 8ft high but tended to spread out, it grew like crazy, and flowered in late august.
    I had to get it out when I built my conservatory as it was in the way. I still have a couple, but they are not in such a favourable position, and slow to flower.

15. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    I have been told there are mature specimens in the centre of London although I hardly ever go back there to find out.They must be able to take more extremes than we get here as I have seen them in New York. The difference there is their spring and summer are much warmer. Best of luck with it and by the way have you seen Albizia Julibrissin Summer Chocolate with bronze leaves, can't find the seeds here. [​IMG]