Seeds I have sown today

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Webmaster, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I read this too, so instead of giving up on mine, I put them in the hedge bottom in an obscure place in the garden. I checked on them last week (or rather Martin told me to get the damned untidy things cleared up) and found I have snakes head fritilarias and Cyclamen coem showing, so pleased I did not bin them.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I am delighted to hear that Waco. I understand that both Fritallaria and Cyclamen seeds can take up to a year, and this has put me off. Perhaps I just need to get myself better organised.

At the other end of the scale, I sowed my Salvia seeds (which need 18C - 24C) in a heated propagator and S. sclarea, S. coccinea and S splendens germinated in just two days. Beated by Sutherlandia which, after soaking for 2 days, took just one day in the propagator to germinate.

3. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yippee, I have ageratum and dianthus peeping through now to go with the french marigolds. I planted peas this weekend so I'm looking forward to a bumper crop this year.

4. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My Morning Glory's - only put in last Sunday are already 2" high :eek: Very sturdy looking too!!
    My Solanums are up too, and looking very good ( thanks Pete). What with Achillea,some Rudbeckias and the Agastache all putting in an appearance, I've got a lot of pricking-out soon to do [​IMG]
    But still nothing from the Lobatas - think I've done 'em in :rolleyes: :( Ah well, got an order from T+M to come yet - and I can't remember half of what I ordered, so that'll be a nice surprise :D

5. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Well, over the last few days I have sown some Astriantria, Hosta, Sweet Peas, Zinnia, Californian Poppies, Anthirrinum, some Dahlia tubers (�£1.5 for 2 at Wilkos), some Miscanthus from a seed heads I liberated from a plant at Gunwharf Quays, loads of other flowers that I can't remember, plus Dwarf Bean, Cucumber, Tomato and DORSET NAGA CHILLIES (saved from a home grown one, as I don't think the bush managed to survive......)!!!!! I have loads more to sow, too!!!!

6. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Peter I have loads of little cyclamen seddlings I can send you if you want some, don't faf on for a year with seeds!

My cobea are through at last, but very yellow leaved, so I am not altogether happy with them.

My I.Lobata look terrible, I think I have started them too early, but only set a few just to see.

Today started Calendula touch of red and all of five Ricinus Newzealand purple.

7. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    So you did get around to the sowing, then, HoneyBee!! Did the sun stop shining so brightly? :rolleyes:

Everything I've sown is doing nicely - anyone want a butternut squash seedling? :D

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    Sown today at work (for work)
    Cineraria Maritima Silver Dust (4,000)
    Cineraria Cirrus (1,000)
    Salvia F. Victoria (1,000)
    Slavia Summer Skies Mixed(1,000)
    Geranium Maverick Quicksilver (350)
    Verbena Venosa (500) second batch

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Waco, many thanks for your kind offer but I don't really have anywhere to put cyclamen seedlings. Come to think of it I don't have anywhere to put any plants from the 43 packets of seeds that I have just sown. But I will worry about that later. :D

I now understand why people grow veg - they can eat their problems. :D

11. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Good to see the sowing season is well under way.
    Toms, cuces, peppers, mirabilis, Centaurea and Statice are all up. Cobea have true leaves and getting big worryingly fast. Need more pots...

Have no room for butternut squashes thanks Dendy
    :D

12. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    have put in a couple more trays today of Salvia and Cleome.... nothing up yet, even though its all covered in polythene, nice and moist, and snuggly warm in the sunshine.... and a couple of courgettes and something else, but I can't remeber right now
    [​IMG] [​IMG] oh, and Cobea - can anyone let me know what they are like??? Saw a mention of them in an article Sarah Raven wrote on a cutting patch & thought I'd give them a go!!

13. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    Dendy, nothing for a week or so, then it's the dreaded lobelia, remember the pics last year, 5,000 pellets hand sown in cells? :rolleyes:

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Just a thought strongy,
    While you are sowing those pelleted lobelia seed.
    Think about the poor so and so that had to put the pellet around that tiny seed. :D
    I wonder how they do that?

15. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    HoneyBee - the cobaea are the cup and saucer vine that you can see on LoL's thread - lovely vine!

Strongy - yes, I remember those pics well! :D