Seeds I have sown today

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Webmaster, Mar 12, 2006.

1. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    Sown today
    Coleus Pineaple
    Coleus Wizard Mixed
    Coleus Dragon
    Perilla Laciniata
    Pyrethrum Silver Feather
    Kochia Trichophylla
    Gazania Kiss Mixed
    Gazania Frosty
    Gazania Daybreak Tiger Stripe
    Heliotrope Marine

2. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    In the Greenhouse today:-
    Chives
    Coriander
    Basil
    Thai basil
    Rocket
    India Jwala Chilli's

3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well I actually counted up packets of seeds I had to sow AND ......there were more than 50! WHAT ME ..obsessive personality???

Then on the way home today after reading a good book on veg. in pots I stopped and bought ....... assorted veg!

HELP!

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I know the feeling Waco. Having sowed all my seeds, Roders was kind enough to send me some Agapanthus seeds, which I sowed today. Then this morning I had to send off a request to Thompson & Morgan. When you are offered two free packets as well as �£5 off your order, you can't refuse.

And I also sent off a small order to Chilterns at the same time. I really wanted to get some Gladiolus communis seed, which Christopher Lloyd mentions several times in his books. I have since read other books and articles and I keep seeing its name coming up. You said that you liked taller plants so you will like my perennial Macleaya cordata (plume poppy) seeds I ordered from them. It can grow up to nine feet.

5. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the middle of a desperate pot shortage :eek: Bought loads, raided my Dads greenhouse,mates shed and the kids are averaging 4 yoghurts a day......but still there's not going to be enough :rolleyes: Everything I've sown seems to be sprouting a little better than I anticipated - even unknown, random seeds found in my mates shed [​IMG] [​IMG] This is brilliant!!! It's a shame I haven't the same success rate with stuff I've planted in the garden...... :rolleyes: [​IMG]

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Windy - you have a Trago Mills down there somewhere. Four years ago I bought 800 from the Newton Abbot branch - didn't cost much - about �£3 a 100, assuming you are talking about small pots. I will be buying a whole load more this year when I go down. Even the cheapest yogurts work out about �£20 a hundred - send the childen out to work instead of eating. :D

7. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    PeterS is right about Trago - that's where I get mine. Last year they were �£2.20 for 100 3 inch pots, I usually buy 300 at a time.
    Now I have to go back for some 5 inch pots!

8. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    pots - 35p for 10 - at local farm shop (a bit flimsy but very re usable) and 65p for 10 square very ridgid plastic ones.

Peter - poppy sounds fascinating! I have gladiolus communis - I got ?sp. bysantium and Nymph from Harrogate show (as bulbs, then found I had already ordered a load which came through the post. I stuck some in the garden, then panicked as I read they were not 100% hardy so stuck a load in pots too!

9. Kaytutt

Kaytutt Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wilkinson do 78 x 3 inch "breeding pots" for 99p, they are very thin but easy to squash more into a gravel tray in the greenhouse as the pots are flexible. I've got about 564351321 of these in my greenhouse right now :eek: :eek: :eek:

They also have 5 inch breeding pots.

10. PercyT

PercyT Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

I too have about 50 packets of seed to plant,

i have started several in my conservatory. but am running out of space to put trays of seed on will have to buy more shelves.

got a little bit eager and a bit ambious me thinks.

needs a bit of help, never grown veg or anything really before.

I have read many posts and take a lot of the advice on board so fingers crossed.

11. PercyT

PercyT Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ok ok gonna ask a silly question now kaytutt what are "breading pots"?

12. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pot info guys! We have a small Tragos in Falmouth so I'll have to venture there - it's somewhere I try to avoid normally, as it's an absolute nightmare with young kids :rolleyes:
    Actually, thinking about it...I'll get my Mum to go for me - otherwise I'll spend far too much money no doubt! :D

13. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Waco I have not heard of Gladiolus Nymph before, but I see it is a dwarf. I am unclear why Christopher Lloyd and others go for Gladiolus communis so much. Is it because it is small and doesn't need staking? or because it naturalises? or because it is not as vulgar and out of place in a border as the hybrids?

14. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Peter - I think its the colour of communis, that real strong purple and he advises to be careful when buying as colour strain has deteriorated.

As to Nymph, he says he likes the blue?white colour with the pink/red "Kiss" in the middle.

He also likes the big blowsy ones in their correct place, and particularly hates them being hung upside down - which has only been made possible by the deadful curse of oasis! I love his writing, he is so blunt and to the point, he should have been a Yorkshire lass!

15. Kaytutt

Kaytutt Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    plant pots made out of pliable thin plastic not rigid plastic like the usual plant pots :D It's Wilkinson's that call them breeding pots not me ;)