Seeds I have sown today

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Webmaster, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    I've sown today:

Morning Glory (the white one milky way)
    Sweet Peas
    Coriander
    Nasturniums (milkmaid and black velvet)
    Wallflowers (blood red ones)
    Dianthus (sooty)

Hope they are going to okay.

2. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Today i did not plant any, but dug the garden over ready to receive! Sorry I lie, I planted 150 allium and freesia bulbs along my fence line.

Tomorrow I am planting basket plants - trailing fuschia, lobelia, petunia, calendula. I have already sown the tumbling toms and strawberrys.

Can't wait for everything to come up.

3. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    This morning i tidied the front garden up a bit.I honestly think someone tips a wagon load of dead leaves in there each night while i sleep.I pulled the weeds out,and pulled up what i think is Dhalia tubers,(can i put them back in?)mixed in some growmore,planted a lavender that was outgrowing a pot,then put Nasturtium seeds in.I think i must have killed 3 of the 4 clematis last yr when i tidied up then.I thought i was helping them when i cut them back.Well really i just sort of pulled off what i thought was dead.Anyway,one has survived and is doing alright on one side of the arch thingy,(peragola?)
    Then i had a mosey over the allotments where i dug up Crocosmia,Gladioli and Freesia bulbs.I only put them in last yr,but i`ve given that part of the plot to Mr.fiz so he can turf it for his pigeons.I ended up with 12 buckets.Dunno where they`re gonna end up but couldn`t bare the thought of just leaving them.Was i supposed to have already taken out the gladioli,freesias, and over wintered them in the GH?Probably.Then i mxed up some soil-sharp sand, and sowed a couple of cell trays of African marigold.(168)Aparrantly they help on the veg plot so can`t have too many of those.Been a good day really. [​IMG]

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    At work
    Lobelia Crystal Palace/White Lady/Regatta Mixed/Blue Cacade/Red Cascade. That's the first batch.
    66 trays 40 cells each tray, direct sown pellets 5/10 per cell and I've come home cross eyed. :D

5. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The tomato seeds i had sown earlier on in the month in the gh never germinised,so i chucked them and started fresh today and have put them on the bebroom windowsill.Also put some dhalia seeds up there and 2 more cucumbers although the first lot have germinated.
    I did another lot of petunias and tidied up a scruffy patch at allotment and put in some nasturtium.
    I got Mr,fiz to drill holes in the bottom of a large milk churn,then i put gravel in,soil,well rotted manure that i nicked from next allotment,compost and grow more and planted the mock orange.Ive no idea the conditions it preferes so i just tret it like a rose?I`ve stood it on the path next to the look out(pigeons) so i`ll get to smell it all the time.All i have to do now....,is wait. :rolleyes: :D

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I have my usual problem, seeds germinating like mad and nowhere to put the germinated ones, which are in the 'Jumbo Propagator'- 4 varieties of tomato, 3 types of morning glory, etc. The rest of the greenhouse is full of overwintering things which I daren't put out yet- these include Fuchsias, geraniums, Ampelopsis- will the geraniums be OK yet, and the bigger fuchsias?

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    Liz, if yor geraniums have overwintered in a cold greehouse I think theywould be ok outside in the couple of weeksthe Fuchsias should be ok towards the end of April.

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    Liz, when I start to move things outside I create an area near to the house, mine faces west, where I can put pots etc. but if a real frost is forecast I can just cover them up quickly.

9. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I got my parsnip seeds in today,2 rows,Gladiator...fingers crossed xxxxxxx

10. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Elaine, apart from a preference for non-acid soil, Mock Oranges are as hardy as old boots, and they grow quite quickly. As you say the perfume of most of them is amazing!
    Thanks Strongylodon and pete, looks like I'll have to re-erect my little plastic greenhouse for all the geraniumms and fuchsias...

11. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    today i've mostly sown:

Nicotinia Sensation mixed
    Nicotininia Limegreen
    Patunia Banana milk shake
    Coleus Wizard mixed
    Coleus Wizard Sunset
    Pansy Joker light blue
    Marigold Crackerjack
    Sweetpea Special choise mixed

SUNFLOWERS:
    Infrered F1
    Italian white
    Russian giant
    Lime green pie
    3 types i had from last year
    PLUS 8 sent from you lovely people, thanks

Banana:
    Thai gold
    Blood banana

Going to buy some seeds for eating later today [​IMG]

12. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Looking forward to seeing photos of all those sunflowers, Nicsdad! :D

I sowed veg out in my raised bed yesterday...so fingers crossed! Beetroot, turnip (snowball), parsnip and carrot (resistafly!)

Today it'll be a range of different ipomoea, so that'll be fun in a week's time! :rolleyes:

13. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :D The Asclepias or Butterfly weed, seeds I sowed last week are through.. [​IMG] I bought the seeds in the Butterfly conservatory at Niagara Falls. They should grow here so I am told. Certainly must have had about 100% germination, so will see how they go. Here is a link to see what they will look like. If I end up with spares will let you all know... ;) :D
    http://www.floridata.com/ref/A/ascl_tub.cfm
    What do you all think..? [​IMG]

14. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I always look forward to hour after hour of picking out seedlings [​IMG]

15. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have sown:
    ageratum
    dianthus
    pansy (not germinated yet)
    achillea
    ragged robin (germinated after frost)
    monarda
    carrots
    lettuce
    peas (inside and outside under cloche both growing well)
    and nasturtium
    I will sow sweet peas when I remember to soak them overnight!
    Runner beans will go in when in-laws have found where they hid them :D